Hello,

I have two questions, first some background info:

We are running SQL 2000 on a Windows 2003 server for out aircraft parts database software.

There are 7 workstations (windows 2000 and XP) that run the parts database.

4 of those workstations run really fast, the database calls are near instant. but the other 3 identical workstations are incredibly slow. Taking over a minute to load what takes the other workstations less then 2seconds, etc...

Since each workstation is identical (all XP are the same, all 2K are the same) my first thought was that we didn't have enough SQL CAL licenses for the 7 workstations, thus the 4 licenses we had were allowing some to run fast, but the other 3 were qued up until space became free, or something like that.

We purchased an additional 3 CAL licenses, but I'm not sure how to install them...

My first question:

How do you actually go about installing SQL CAL licenses?
I went on the MS website, and it says to simply open up the control panel, go into the SQL license Manager, and turn the spinner up to the # of licenses you have.
Which I did.
Is that all there is to it?
I can't imagine you would simply be on your honor to put that spinner to the correct number of licenses.

Question # 2
If that IS the correct way to install your licenses...
It made no difference in the 3 workstations SQL speed.
Yes I restarted the SQL service after upping the license amount.

These workstation are the same speed on the network as the "fast" workstations in every other application and when sending files, etc...

Any help greatly appreciated!
Take care

G'd evening arron!
For your first question the short answer is Yes. That's all what you have to do, the same as in win 2k server.
For the second question...it is hard to say. First i would like to ask you to: first try the slow pcs with the fast pcs off. If the problem remains, you will know that the problem are not the connections (licenses).
Second, use the network monitor to check for any overload in the Win server. Some times it happens when the DNS server is not properly configured.
Check the active network protocols (with the SQL client utility) to verify all your dbs are have just the protocols they need. Most of the times you just one the TCP/IP and Named Pipes.
Try to login in your slow pcs with the fast pc's logins & passwords.

Let us know those results to have a better view and can assist you further.
Good luck
Estuardo

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.