HI

I would appreciate some assistance if possible. I am embarking on setting up a database for sports data and results( at home project). Wanting to know which application would be most suitable. Data would consist of 60% text(venues dates etc) 40% data(times scores resuts etc). Most of the data to be imported is either in xml files or csv files.

Whilst data integrity is obviously important, my main concern is the ability to run queiries to not only match data on text but to do so with many different data variables in combination.

Excel as a database would appear to be unviable as I would have to many duplicate records and data analysis for queiries needed may be too limited although I have found an article on using LINQ to allow excel to do external queries(this may make it viable then if I used Access and Excel in combination).

Has anyone got any suggestion or created a sports database before? Its the analysis of the database records that is my main concern, I want the freedom/ability to query it as I want to.

Thank You

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I believe MS Access would be a good way to go with the description you mention above. Other possibilities are MySQL and MSSQL; however, that would, in my opinion, require more work than is needed for this project. With MySQL and MSSQL, you would need to run a MySQL server or a MSSQL server (even if it is just on the local machine), and use another programming language to interface with the database to input and output data.

With MS Access, you just need to have MS Access and create a database that contains all the tables, queries, forms and reports you need.

I believe MS Access would be a good way to go with the description you mention above. Other possibilities are MySQL and MSSQL; however, that would, in my opinion, require more work than is needed for this project. With MySQL and MSSQL, you would need to run a MySQL server or a MSSQL server (even if it is just on the local machine), and use another programming language to interface with the database to input and output data.

With MS Access, you just need to have MS Access and create a database that contains all the tables, queries, forms and reports you need.

Thanks for the reply, with querying data which is my main concern is this functionality broad enoughin Access. Does the option to extenally query via LINQ exist in Access?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.