hi, since i have shifted my host these weird characters showed up on website! "ââ" i checked database, they are as it is written there. so when i call something through query they showed up too makes it worse, removing them manually is quite difficult. so please if anyone could tel me how to solve it. it would be great thanks.
M using php for my site, and Linux hosting!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

How did you shift DB (export and import DB) from one host to another?

The only thing i can think of, and the easiest thing for you, would be to make a small php script to display all the rows where ââ is true and then just use a form to edit them..

Would prob take a good 1-2 hours depending on the size of the database... Here is the layou i would use.

--------------------------------------------------------------
|       Database item       |      [      Text box      ]    |
|                                      [  submit button ]    |
--------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously there is a character set error. The data seem to be in UTF-8, while the browser announces them as another character set (maybe latin-1?) Check all relevant character set parameters:
- database character set
- table character set
- field character set
- connection character set
- character set as used in the Content-type header.

@smantscheff : can you please explain how to do that? in steps please, that would be a great help. thank you in advance

Check the database and connection setup with the command line mysql client and enter "show variables".
Check the table and field setup with "show create table <tablename>"
Check the browser content encoding by looking for the Content-type meta-tag in the source code or, with firefox, with the menu items "View | Encoding"

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.