I am trying to create a simple inventory database that can be accessed in an intranet. I need help on creating the entities for this database. To begin with I have the following entities:

Equipment_Description, Department_Serial_No, Equipment_Serial_No, Model, Manufacturer, Status and Price.

My first entity or table consists of Department_Serial_No and Equpment_Serial_No. Department_Serial_No is the primary key because it functionallly determines the Eqiupment_Serial_No. I am stuck on how to model the entity types.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I am stuck on how to model the entity types.

Can you explain a little more?

This is intended to be an inventory for equipment in a Physics department. I am to normalise the tables so that I avoid redunant data that is keeping related information in one table and joining the tables with their primary keys. So far I have identified Departmental_Serial_No (DSN) and Equipment_Serial_No (ESN) to be in one table and DSN to be the primary key because it uniquely define ESN. If I know DSN then I know the ESN. The rest of the task is to create table or tables for the remaining entity types: Model, Manufacturer, Status,Quantity and Price.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.