Hi guys,

I've got a database which frequently need to be sent over the internet so that other users can update their data. As the database is huge with more than 30,000 records, it's really hard for other people to download it as they are on dial up. Is there a way of converting database or maybe just the tables into different file format for faster transfer.

Thanks for your time

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi guys,

I've got a database which frequently need to be sent over the internet so that other users can update their data. As the database is huge with more than 30,000 records, it's really hard for other people to download it as they are on dial up. Is there a way of converting database or maybe just the tables into different file format for faster transfer.

Thanks for your time

Do you really need to send all 30 000 records? Can you instead send only relevant parts and have a central consolidation process?

Also, zip works wonders with access mdb files. I customarily get it down to 5-10% of its original size.

30 000 records is not that many -- try compacting to clear some 'dead' space.

Hi MCP

Hi Fractalvibes,

I'll tell you what the real situation is. We've got a centeral web based database from which I'm getting all my records. I run queries on this web based database to create my own tables. I had to create my tables because I've created some reports which involve some complex queries. If I run reports directly from the main database, it takes a lot of time to open reports.
Now my problem is that when I log in the database as my user name all the tables that I've created are updated from the central database but for all other users as they have a very slow internet connection I had to disable this option as it was taking hours for them to update tables.
As the other users don't have much knowledge about databases, I have to come up with a way of data transfer easy enough for them to understand.
I've got like 10 users in 10 different places who's job is just to look at the reports that I've created. They don't have to change any data.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.