hi every one,
i want to know about configuring sql mail.i have sql server on my computer and i want to configure it to send sql mail.i want to know which account i have to use as local system account is not being accepted.when i try to create seperate account,i get error saying this account is not valied.plz reply me how to configure sql mail using windows xp and microsoft outlook 2002.
waiting for u r replies.
bye

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Member Avatar for Geek-Master

It really depends on what version of SQL Server you are using. SQL 2000 requires that you have Outlook installed on the server that is hosting SQL. On the other hand, SQL 2005 is using SMTP instead of MAPI accounts and doesn't require the use of Outlook "thank God."

SQL 2000 Feature Compare List
To find out if you can use SQL Mail on 2000, here is a link to Microsoft's website:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa175266(SQL.80).aspx

The SQL Mail Feature is listed last in the first table about the Database Engine.

I have never successfully configured SQL 2000 to use a POP3 account, so you may need access to an Exchange server.

Configuring SQL Mail on SQL Server 2000
To configure SQL Mail on a SQL 2000 instance here is a link to Microsoft's website:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870675

The first steps assume you have an Outlook profile configured already. Then there are other hyperlinks that'll take you to other areas of concern, and those are towards the bottom of the webpage.

If you are using SQL Server 2005, I need to point out that it is no longer called SQL Mail but Database Mail. This can be setup in the Surface Area Configuration Wizard. To find out more about installing DB Mail, check out books online.

hi,
i have resolved the issue and iam able to send mails.the problem was in my local domain account ,i didnt have password,so i kept on getting the logon error. i checked the permisions for my domain account, all were there.so i have created the password and every thing was easy.The main problem we get while configuring sql is u r account should have permissions for the below
Requirements for Domain User Account

All domain user accounts must have permission to:

• Access and change the SQL Server directory (\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Mssql).-->the server account we r using should be db owner.
  • Access and change the .mdf, .ndf, and .ldf database files.
  • Log on as a service.-->go to control panel->administrator tools->services->local security settings->local policies->user rights assignment->double click we will get logon as service->check whether the account is included in the list displayed otherwise add
  • Read and write registry keys at and under:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer.
      -or- for any named instance: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server.
      start->run>regedit>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>
      Microsoft>mssqlserver>right click and check for permisions and check whether u r account is listed or not
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlset\Services\MSSQLServer.
      -or- for any named instance: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlset\Services\MSSQL$Instancename. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib. start>run>regedit>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>System>
      currentcontrolset>services>mssqlserver>right click and check for permisions and check whether u r account is listed or not.
    • Even after checking permissions if u get error then it may be due to u r password.check whether u have typed correct password.if neccessary change u r password.
    • the detailed procedure for configuring sql mail is given in http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=164
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.