hey yall, we are currently looking a scripter who would be interested in being a main scripter for a game were making (amature for fun) we need a main scripter or maybe even 2 scripters who are willing to join us at grove of darkness puerly for fun in making a mmorpg fps style game on the unreal T3 (i think) game engine, you must be willing to go on vent for discusion and very interested in making a game, also... obviosly the ability to do scripting is also required.. lol

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

unreal t3 has to be licensed, at a very high price, and i'd love to help!

If it's free, then could you give me links to tutorials etc for the Unreal T3 engine?
If i know how hard/easy it is, then i'd better be able to make up my mind...
Anyways, what network engine are you using? (or is it built in in the unreal T3)

the unreal t3 costs millions of dollars.
and the network engine is built in.

well, if your project is willing to provide me the engine that costs millions of dollars, legally, then i'd like to give it a try :D

I do believe that older versions of the Unreal Engine (which is the engine used to make UT3 that you were referring to) are available at prices affordable by an average individual (vs. an entire gaming company or someone who's extremely rich). I heard somewhere that the very first version of the engine is free, though that might be for non-commercial use.

I do believe that older versions of the Unreal Engine (which is the engine used to make UT3 that you were referring to) are available at prices affordable by an average individual (vs. an entire gaming company or someone who's extremely rich). I heard somewhere that the very first version of the engine is free, though that might be for non-commercial use.

Yes it is. The original engine was based on the quake engine and is free. You can even download the entire source-code for Quake III for free (under GPL lincense)

@OP: What exactly do you mean by scripting? I think what you mean is programming (I myself am a bit sketchy as to the precise distinction between the two, but I'm pretty sure what you mean is programming.)

I don't see why so many people are talking about licensing the Unreal3 engine or it's costs. This doesn't sound like a commercial product, and the engine is free to use for mods. That's what made all the other UT games amazing, you buy UT and get several thousand free fan-made mods available for use.

@CoolGamer48:
Scripting is a type of programming, yes. But actual programming in Game Development (referred to as "coding") means editing and adding to the main engine's source code. Editing graphics, Physics, main files for AI, etc... Something you would not be able to do here without a license.

"Scripting" is the programming in gamedev in which you create the "scripts" for the engine source to read from, which can do anything from creating datablocks with values for the engine to input, writing classes and giving them their dynamic variables (note: This is not creating the classes as you would in the C++ source, but the instances of them) to creating weapons, editing their ::onFire functions and their Projectile values. Setting up triggers and scripted events to act on them. Some engines (I don't know of UT3, but probably not) use scripting for their AI, among many other things.

commented: This is the stupidest nonsense I've read today. +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.