John A 1,896 Vampirical Lurker Team Colleague

Well, it seems like a new PSP redesign is on the way, which is supposed to make Sony's handheld portable gaming device smaller, lighter, and more attractive.

So... do I think that the PSP needs a redesign? A definite "yes". It has a massive screen, a plus for the console. However, I think this is partly a disadvantage to the console, too. Sony has placed all emphasis on computing power and rendering ability. But the problem is, raw power isn't what most people want. Most want a novelty, something that is innovative, fresh and new.

You want an example of what I think is "innovative"? The Nintendo DS. Well, you probably figured I was going to say that, but my example still stands. Numbers don't lie. Nintento's DS is the most popular game console, and for a good reason: it's has a lot of new and interesting features. The most obvious feature is that it has 2 screens. This is a big plus for keeping the size of the thing down, because now it can fold and therefore get twice the screen area. Secondly, it uses a stylus. I haven't seen any other game consoles that have this capability, so this is pretty unique.

What I hope to see in the PSP is more than a simple redesign. Here are several very important things that I think Sony should change:

• I hope that the case looks better. The current one is rather just a simple derivation of an oval; can't we have something that looks interesting? Not that we want some crazy-looking blob, but making smooth curves help make the device look professional. And although cases aren't going to improve the technical details of something, it certainly affects the sales of it.
  • Secondly, I would like Sony to somehow go after the more "fun" games. At the moment, it seems like all the PSP is for is FPS and other hardcore games. Those are great for full-size consoles and PCs, but is that really what users want to be playing on their little console? Quite often it's turned on and off so frequently one can barely complete a level without having to turn it off. Finding developers who make fun games is crucial for selling this device.
  • Lastly, Sony needs to come up with something that the PSP has that no other portable console has. Like I said before, the DS has 2 very unique features. Finding features which may not seem groundbreaking but add some fun to the game would be a very good idea for Sony. People want what they don't have, so why not take advantage of that weakness?

Sony's got a good chance to make their console become the king of the portable world. They've got a decent base design, now all they need to do is finish off the rough edges to attract more people. Instead of simply making it a "PlayStation Portable", make it a unique handheld rather than simply a scaled-down PlayStation.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.