Hello. I am new to this website. And looking for some help.

I want to eventually go to college for Computer programming to work on Video games. My only experience is a few years ago, I had limited use of QBASIC. I am wondering what programs I can use and learn to help prepare myself for college and the gaming industry.

If you're looking to get into the non-indie professional game development industry, you'll want to learn C/C++, as that's the most widely used language set for large scale games.

If you're looking at getting into the indie games industry after school, you'll want to learn C/C++, C#, Python, Flash or another from a multitude of other languages/platforms.

If you're going for the former, check out Microsoft Visual C++ Express as your IDE/compiler. Read some tutorials on the IDE and the language and try out some basic programs to get you started.

Depending on where you go to college, your comp sci program may base you in Java, so take that into account as well. If you're going for a dedicated game development program at college such as Full Sail, Guildhall, or Digipen, you'll most likely use C++.

Other than that, come back and ask some specifics and we'll answer the best we can.

Welcome to DaniWeb =)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.