hi. Is it possible to get some information about making a puzzle game. The object of the game is to move a man through a maze with objects and put a key in a keyhole to get out. I've figured out how to get the person trying to catch him to move towards him after he moves, but how would you represent a book or wall in the language. Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

C or C++?

This type of game would be suited to C++, in my opinion. I would create a base class, CObject, which would represent an object in the game. It could contain variables such as position, veloctiy, state and dimensions (size). Then for a book, I would derive a class from CObject named CBook which would contain attributes specific to a book. And derive another one for a wall.

As for the actual drawing to the screen, I'm entirely sure what you want to do. If you're actually planning on making an interactive console game, you'd be best off using a console library like NCurses. If this is purely a word game where the person simply types input at a prompt (not real time), then you could just use the default I/O functions that are available with the Standard Template Library.

I did a nethack type game lin VB using an array and pictureboxes but thats not a particualy good idea for a serious game

this is to be a real time game where the user presses up, down, left, right and the character on screen moves. There should also be a man who moves towards the character after every move

this is to be a real time game where the user presses up, down, left, right and the character on screen moves. There should also be a man who moves towards the character after every move

Then spend some time learning NCurses or the WinAPI console functions before even attempting to start the game. You should have the knowledge of how to draw and color pixels onscreen.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.