Hello All, Dani newbie here, this site is crazy with info, ill be spending late nights here...8)

Question on RPGMaker XP, has anyone marketed a game created with this app without any legal problems and is it a cross platform development tool?

thx U in Advance..

Mark

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

As far as I know, RPG Maker is Windows only development and Windows only deployment; so no, it's not cross platform in any way. There's nothing technical to stop someone writing a non-Windows version of the engine or IDE but to my knowledge, nobody has.

With regard to marketing and licencing; you'd have to ask the developers of the engine about their terms or research in their own documentation. It's always best to adhere to the terms as specified by the developer of the product rather than treating anecdotes as precedents. Look for licensing information in the install documentation, if you can't find any, contact the developers since it's an important consideration.

Be aware, since the standard release of the package may incorporate graphics produced by more than one copyright-holder, you may have issues on a by-asset basis rather than a by-production basis.

As far as I know, RPG Maker is Windows only development and Windows only deployment; so no, it's not cross platform in any way. There's nothing technical to stop someone writing a non-Windows version of the engine or IDE but to my knowledge, nobody has.

With regard to marketing and licencing; you'd have to ask the developers of the engine about their terms or research in their own documentation. It's always best to adhere to the terms as specified by the developer of the product rather than treating anecdotes as precedents. Look for licensing information in the install documentation, if you can't find any, contact the developers since it's an important consideration.

Be aware, since the standard release of the package may incorporate graphics produced by more than one copyright-holder, you may have issues on a by-asset basis rather than a by-production basis.

Thank you Matt, all very good points and info...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.