I'm making a midlet that incorporates a database system with relatively large records (~10,000 patient records/health info system on an EAV entity-attribute-value model).

I suppose RMS cannot do or "is not fit" for this job. (at least, efficiently)

Can i use the OpenBaseMovil for this purpose?
or Perst Lite, SQLite maybe?

or is this impossible and should resort to a flat file storage?

Please give an opinion to my problem.
Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

That will be too much for RMS. The actual maximum size of RMS depends on device, but still RMS self maintenance system will slow down your application performance.
I would not go with either of these OpenBaseMovil, Perst Lite or SQLite (the last one becoming popular under Symbian, Microsoft started too but as always pushing with their version of it) as they still risky to develop with (very little support from manufacturers).
So you are left either with FileConnection ( the flat file) that can by stored on memory card (coming in gigabytes, however security risk if lost) or you will query external server with whatever back-end database MySQL/MSSQL/Oracle. (In worst case scenario you still can change platform and go for Symbian or Windows CE)

That will be too much for RMS. The actual maximum size of RMS depends on device, but still RMS self maintenance system will slow down your application performance.
I would not go with either of these OpenBaseMovil, Perst Lite or SQLite (the last one becoming popular under Symbian, Microsoft started too but as always pushing with their version of it) as they still risky to develop with (very little support from manufacturers).
So you are left either with FileConnection ( the flat file) that can by stored on memory card (coming in gigabytes, however security risk if lost) or you will query external server with whatever back-end database MySQL/MSSQL/Oracle. (In worst case scenario you still can change platform and go for Symbian or Windows CE)

Thank you :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.