I'm writing an Android app that will follow the route of a vehicle that has GPS in it. The basic overview is app asks the server for the location of the vehicle, the server gets the location from the GPS installed in the vehicle, and returns it to the device to be displayed on the map (and other relevant information will be calculated on the server and sent to the device). I'm not sure how programming with a GPS device works, so I was hoping someone could clarify. Is there a GPS that I can somehow link with a laptop, so that the laptop receives the real time location of the vehicle? Or will the GPS positions need to be sent over the internet in order to achieve that? All the devices I see online send the information to their own servers and you can see the data on their websites, but I want the data to be sent to my own server.

Thanks.

What information you have related to device, do you got information about its lat/lng ?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.