Hello,

I would first like to thank everyone for their help so far, i really appreciate it.

Well, i have been learning perl for my job now for about three weeks. Things have gone pretty well so far. I have written a few scripts here and there. However, i have a much larger project that i have to write a page for. The page needs to have a mysql backend and a perl frontend. It will be used for keeping track of vlan ids and the IP addresses associated with them, also with a 25 char description field. Now, i have created the database with the columns of vlanid, ipaddr, and descr. The vlanid and ipaddr are of data type int while descr is of type varchar(25). I have written a small perl script that is able to insert and print out the fields in the database into a html table. Now, i am quite new to web programming, so i am unsure how to actually approach the project, this is where i need your help. How should i approach this issue? Should i write separate pages for displaying the data, inserting and deleting the data? Should i have this all on one page? Where should i go from here? Do any of you know of a GOOD book that i can get on the subject that will help me? Any advise will be beneficial.

Thanks!!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Do any of you know of a GOOD book that i can get on the subject that will help me? Any advise will be beneficial.

'MySQL and Perl for the Web' by Paul DuBois

Can't say I know of any good books, but in terms of which way to go, that depends on YOU:

From a programmer's point of view, writing one separate page per function is definitely easier.

But that doesn't mean that that is more user friendly. For "users" I like to make the display and edit page the same page. But that leaves more backend coding for you to do.

Not to say you couldn't make them all separate and still have it be all user friendly.

Really that's depends on you, and the user requirements.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.