HI
I need to make Microsoft Access 2003 Dependent Drop Down from an existing application which set a configuration file. The user interface contains many drop down that are filled dynamically. The issue here is the latency, meaning the time needed to refill the drop down after making a first selection in the main control. Were talking of more than one second after the first selection which fills 20 other drop downs, IS IT NORMAL?

BTW this latency is not judged normal by my bosses!!!

Thanks any help is more than welcome…

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

20 fills in 1-3 seconds is really not that bad.

However YOU can improve this by using indexes and unique fields.

Try calling by the numeric value of an ID versus full text.

Should get that down under a second for sure.

20 fills in 1-3 seconds is really not that bad.

However YOU can improve this by using indexes and unique fields.

Try calling by the numeric value of an ID versus full text.

Should get that down under a second for sure.

Thanks for this reply, but tables are indexed and PK is numerical:

I have another question: what is the best approach when building multiple dependants controls that are dynamically filled? My approach was to build a query builder to fill controls. Whenever a choice is made in control 1, and subsequently in control 3, I pass those parameters in order to the queries and fill controls with the dataset.

Is there a better way?

Are you using a trigger to do so?

Because reading all the results in off the base query then filling in the boxes is way faster then passing it and have it query the db each time.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.