I would be very grateful for any advice on this.
The business I work for want all their paper data stored in Access 2000, and to be accessible through a small network - server, 3/4 PCs running XP.

The main question is: Is there any reason not to use VB6 for this?

I'm pretty much a novice with VB6 but it's the best option for me. Unless absolutely necessary, I'd rather not have to familiarise myself with VB.NET at this time.

I've read of the version issues (having to convert to Access 97) but I downloaded service pack 6 and I have no problem accessing tables on a test Access 2000 database on my work pc. However, any advice on specifying the correct connection settings for the above setup would be gratefully received. From what I read, ADO is the best method but I could use some help on the finer points.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I've read of the version issues (having to convert to Access 97) but I downloaded service pack 6 and I have no problem accessing tables on a test Access 2000 database on my work pc.

It worked even with Access 2003 on my PC.

The business I work for want all their paper data stored in Access 2000, and to be accessible through a small network - server, 3/4 PCs running XP.

The main question is: Is there any reason not to use VB6 for this?

If you're free to choose the mode of communication between the computers, you can implement it using VB6. You have ready-made controls for serial data communicaton; and as far as the 'version issue' is concerned, it's not an issue at all!

¤ Do you realy have to use VB6?
¤ You could use Acces for the application and increase your productivity.

If you're free to choose the mode of communication between the computers QUOTE]

Thanks for answering - much appreciated. It's reassuring to hear you had no problem even with Access 2003. My other concern is that of implementing this on a network, albeit a small one (3/4 users). Can you suggest any good sources of information on this (bearing in mind my novice status) - books, online tutorials?
Thanks.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Excuse my ignorance here, but when you say 'use Access', do you mean VBA? I'd also appreciate your opinion on the advantages over VB6. Thanks again.

If you're free to choose the mode of communication between the computers QUOTE]

Thanks for answering - much appreciated. It's reassuring to hear you had no problem even with Access 2003. My other concern is that of implementing this on a network, albeit a small one (3/4 users). Can you suggest any good sources of information on this (bearing in mind my novice status) - books, online tutorials?
Thanks.

For ready-made API's use google. Or if you like, you can establish PC to PC communication links via the serial port using the the MSComm32 control.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Excuse my ignorance here, but when you say 'use Access', do you mean VBA? I'd also appreciate your opinion on the advantages over VB6. Thanks again.

¤ With Access, you can build an apllication AND a database; typicaly the database is separated from the application.

¤ An application comprises all the forms to enter/visualize data and the associated reports.

¤ With VB6 you can do the same BUT you have to do much more work to achieve the same result and especialy, you will have to get familiar with cristal report!!!

¤ Once the DB is created (I use SQL 2005 EXPRESS with Access 2007), I plan for 1.5 forms and 1.25 reports per table; I usualy end up with 4 'queries' per table.

¤ With Access, the queries (any kind:views, functions, stored procedures,etc) are very easy to build (it does most of the work for you) and reports are often generated automaticaly.

¤ Forms are a bit more time consuming but we talk here in terms of minutes not hours.

¤ Now the big question: if Access is such a nice guy with is it allmost always discarded as a delelopment tool?
1 - It is not compiled but rather p-coded - big sin!
2 - It is not considered professionnal - too simple to use!
3 - WorkGroups have a bug that MS never adressed - easy to bypass.
4 - It makes security management too simple!

¤ No I am not linked to MS in any way; but I have made a big system with Access 97 (yes sir!) comprising approx. 2500 objects and except for couple swears now and then the beast went fine.

¤ I now have to use VB6 and I find it appaling - an inefficency factor of probably 5 to 1!!!

¤ Good luck with your project.

Jishnu - Thanks for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

JLCantara - Thanks, I'll look into that. Really very helpful.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.