Plz..guys i want to know is there any function that can give ASCII value of character? and do i need to use any header file to use that function

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

Here is sample code, which demonstrates on how to get a the ASCII code for the entered char.

#include <stdio.h>

#define TRUE      1

void clear_buffer( void )
{
     int ch;

while( ( ch = getchar() ) != '\n' && ch != EOF );
} 

int main()
{
    unsigned int ch;

while( TRUE )
    {
        printf("\nsingle char please - " ); 
        ch = getchar();
        clear_buffer();

printf("%c - %d", ch, ch );
    } 
}    

/* my output
single char please - a
a - 97
single char please - s
s - 115
single char please - d
d - 100
single char please -
*/

NOTE: This is limitedto quite a lot of stuff. You coud place some error checking to make it more perfect.

And you can always find a ascii char chart on the net. Here is link for one which is found ASCII.

ssharish

In C, you can use the char data type just like a number and it will automatically convert it to the ASCII value. Here's a minimal example:

int myNum = 'a';

myNum would have the value 97 in it.

Thanks guys for replying to my query

remember this fact:

a variable of type char is just an 8-bit int.

thats all it is, and all it ever was.

try this and see: int a = 65; printf("%c", a);

#include<stdio.h>

void main (void)
{
    char x; 
    printf("\nEnter a Character : ");
    x = getchar();
   printf("\nThe ASCII for Char is: %d",x);

}

This will work , if you need values in Hex then use of "%x" is always there. : )

>void main (void)
This is not (and never has been) correct C. The main function returns int.

>a variable of type char is just an 8-bit int.
Just to be thorough, even though your reply is over a week old, char is only guaranteed to be at least eight bits.

>void main (void)

#include<stdio.h>
int main ()
{
    char x; 
    x = getchar();
   return 0;/*** was avoiding this line ****/
 }

Thanks anyway ; )

#include<stdio.h>
int main ()
{
    [COLOR="Red"]char x; [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"]x = getchar();[/COLOR]
   return 0;/*** was avoiding this line ****/
 }

Since getchar returns an int, x should be an int. This is done to handle EOF.

>return 0;/*** was avoiding this line ****/
Lazy? Seriously, do 8 characters of boilerplate really make enough of a difference to totally destroy the portability and correctness of your code?

-> NOT using int main() == not good

i agree

BUT

#include<stdio.h>
int main()
{
   printf("\nHello World!");
  return 0;/* I dont think my main should return an Integer*/ 
}

I think i am right in this case. I dont have anything against int main(). But if we dont have to use it , we should make our life simple in terms of compiling. Because if your int main() doesnot have return 0; , you might get a warning or error in any C compiler in the world.

Some material to have a look at:
int main() vs void main()

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/readings/voidmain.960823.html

So i agree with you , that i should use int main() , but a small program like printing ASCII and integer doesnot need that much of attention. :)

commented: for general principles -1

>/* I dont think my main should return an Integer*/
It doesn't matter what you think. You still have to follow the rules. If you don't like it, go to C99 or C++ where 0 is returned automagically. And if you use C99, be sure to tell us so you don't get blasted for failing to return a value[1].

>I think i am right in this case.
I know you're not.

>But if we dont have to use it , we should make our life simple in terms of compiling.
That's the thing, you do have to use it unless your compiler offers an alternative. If your compiler doesn't offer an alternative, the behavior is undefined. You can't win this battle because nobody who's qualified to have an opinion on the matter will agree that saving a trivial line of code is worth undefined behavior.

>Some material to have a look at:
I've read it, but thanks anyway.

>So i agree with you , that i should use int main() , but a small program
>like printing ASCII and integer doesnot need that much of attention. :)
Rationalize it however you like, but I won't trust your code, and I'll encourage other people not to trust your code, because if you're that sloppy with a small program, who knows what kind of crap you write in larger programs.

[1] Of course, you'll probably still get blasted by the people who think it's a bad practice.

commented: that's gonna leave a mark. +4

lol,

I am not a Software engineer but i am an electronic engineer. I have done C++ and i am a Java addict. i know other languages too. But my point is , i am not doing anything wrong by putting void main (void)
I have done parallel to LCD interfacing using C. And if you call my void main sloppy , then that sloppiness worked. Saying this that i am wrong by using void main , is not acceptable, if its wrong it shouldn't work , but its compiling and running.
i admitted that you are right , but you cant say i am wrong and say my code is not trustable.

How many times are you prepared to run across the road blindfolded, just because you managed to get across the first time without being run over?

Being right is a matter of attitude to solving the problem, not what your current compiler will let you get away with. Of course your next compiler may be a lot less lenient, but by then the damage has been done and you have to unlearn a bunch of crap (I know, I've been there).

commented: Me too. +15
commented: i love analogies +4
commented: Love advices, respect - ssharish +2

Makes sense,
thanks Salem ;)

>But my point is , i am not doing anything wrong by putting void main (void)
Do you honestly believe that you're not doing anything wrong by breaking an explicit rule?

>i admitted that you are right
No, you agreed with me superficially and then went right back to saying that your way isn't wrong. :icon_rolleyes:

I'm sorry Software guy, but you're a bad programmer and you shouldn't be writing code until you understand the problem with "it works for me" arguments.

:) ok

commented: This is green because u agreed that where wrong. Listen to what people say first. +2

Plz..guys i want to know is there any function that can give ASCII value of character? and do i need to use any header file to use that function

i used a this code:
int x;
x=getch();
printf("%d",x);

#include<stdio.h>
int main()
{
char ch;
int x;
scanf("%c",&ch);
x=ch;
printf("%d",x);
}

Two resurrections of a 3-year old thread with worthless posts are enough. Closed.

#include<stdio.h>

void main()
{
    int i;
    for(i='\0';i<='~';i++)
        printf("%c=%d\n",i,i);
}
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.