I have Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition and I am just trying a sample program to see what happens when it is run. I just don't know what to do to compile it. All the examples I have seen so far don't help. Some show going to "Build" on top which is between "Debug" and "Tools". I don't even show "Build" on mine.

Others have said to click on "Debug" ->"Start Debugging", but the "Start Debugging" on mine is showing as grayed out.

I might just have the wrong program, or I am not understanding some very basic idea of how to make this work.

Does anyone have any idea what I should do?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I have Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition and I am just trying a sample program to see what happens when it is run. I just don't know what to do to compile it. All the examples I have seen so far don't help. Some show going to "Build" on top which is between "Debug" and "Tools". I don't even show "Build" on mine.

Others have said to click on "Debug" ->"Start Debugging", but the "Start Debugging" on mine is showing as grayed out.

I might just have the wrong program, or I am not understanding some very basic idea of how to make this work.

Does anyone have any idea what I should do?

Thanks

I'm using the non-Express version, but I imagine it's the same. Select the "Build Solution" option from the "Build" drop-down menu. This will build/compile the program. You should see "Build Started..." at the very bottom left of the screen, then after a few seconds you'll either see "Build Failed" and some error messages or "Build Succeeded". After you get the "build Succeeded" message, you can click on the "Debug" ->"Start Debugging" or "Debug" ->"Start Without Debugging" option. It is grayed out because it has not been successfully compiled yet with "Build"->"Build Solution". You should have a "Build" drop-down menu, but there will be no "Build" option under the "Build" menu.

I had a similar problem when i tried to create a new source file, the compile feature didnt show up. i created a new project , from the menu choose general then choose empty project. now add whatever header and source files you need then you should be able to see build command on the pulldown menus , from there choose compile,build and so on also from debug you can run the code

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.