Hi i'm trying to write a decryption code to process encrypted files. I have the error below whenever I try to initialise an cypher object of type Crypt::CBC and supplying 'Blowfish' as decryption algorithm, I get the following

C:\>decrypt.pl
Couldn't load Crypt::Blowfish: Can't locate loadable object for module Crypt::Bl
owfish in @INC (@INC contains: C:\oracle\ora10g\perl\5.8.3\lib\MSWin32-x86 C:\or
acle\ora10g\perl\5.8.3\lib C:\oracle\ora10g\perl\5.8.3\lib\MSWin32-x86 C:\oracle
\ora10g\perl\site\5.8.3 C:\oracle\ora10g\perl\site\5.8.3\lib/MSWin32-x86-multi-t
hread C:\oracle\ora10g\perl\site\5.8.3\lib C:\oracle\ora10g\sysman\admin\scripts
C:/Perl/site/lib C:/Perl/lib .) at (eval 1) line 1
Compilation failed in require at (eval 1) line 1.
at C:\decrypt.pl line 9

It looks like i'm missing some perl module here but I don't wish to have to download and compile it with CPAN and make since I get a weird message stating that my make version might not be up to date or something. But my point is that I cannot spend so much time developing this module...I need a quicky fix/workaround

regards,
Didier

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

looks like you are on Windows, so I assume you are using activeperl. For that you use the PPM application to install modules. Read the activeperl documentation for instructions on using PPM. There is no compling involved.

looks like you are on Windows, so I assume you are using activeperl. For that you use the PPM application to install modules. Read the activeperl documentation for instructions on using PPM. There is no compling involved.

Thanks for the suggestion but the fact is that I have already been through these steps and I have browsed the GUI ppm module for these missing packages/modules... the fact is that I don't find Crypt-Blowfish or Crypt-DES either... moreover the only version of Crypt-CBC available on activeState is 2.24 while I see newer version on CPAN (2.29). I'm in a bit of a mess with these Perl modules and since i'm a newbie, it's a real pain for me to figure out the fastest way out of this mess. Sorry i'm running out of time on this and would appreciate help.

regards,
Didier

...ok I just saw that I could add more repository sources... this might be a solution for my problem. I'll keep you guys informed

Cheers =)

You can add repositories but there are a lot of modules that have never been ported to PPM. You can download modules and put them in a folder of your choice and use the lib pragma to include the folders in @INC. Sometimes this is difficult if there are a lot of modules and sub modules but it is doable. Or maybe someone can help with installing CPAN modules into your activeperl libraries, or ask on www.perlmonks.com.

Some PPM repositories that are good:

http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms
http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm/

This is a more drastic option, you can try www.strawberryperl.com which is a windows port of perl that uses the standard CPAN interface.

Thanks a lot for all the info, I'll try each solution out today. Don't worry i'm having a backup solution anyway; but i think it will be ok. By the way the strawberry on the welcome page gave me a bit of a crave for strawberries...hmmm I'm gonna get myself a box at lunch =) ...me want strawberry and whipped cream!

cheers,
Didier

I know this has been going on for a long time and I do hope you're not getting bored. I have opted for the Strawberry proposal. I installed it and then tried upgrading its packages via CPAN Client... the first time I launched it, I had an error stating that perl58.dll was missing. I got it back from the Internet and dropped it in my System32 folder...now whenever I retry to launch CPAN Client, the thing produces an unexpected error.
Could you please advise on solving this issue or propose an altername solution.

I had previous installations of Perl which I uninstalled the proper way. I don't think something might have gone wrong on this side.

regards,

Didier

That cryptography thing is really giving me a hard time :(

I'm sorry but I can not help with issues of running or installing strawberryperl. I have installed it on a couple of of Windows PCs (XP and 2000) and it ran fine for me.

Maybe one of the resources listed on the strawberryperl website can assist you:

http://strawberryperl.com/support.html

Thanks a lot my friend. I will sure check the link.

regards,

Didier

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.