Hi

I'm was a c++ programmer for 7 years past with VC++
then go to Java and now return to c++ ,
I've search for VC++ and its seems big change now (VC++ Express Edition ) .

I looking for free VC++6.0 or any other easy/free editor for c++ programming .

any info. are welcome here

Thanx ..

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Eclipse and Code::Blocks are good
I personally use Emacs of course ;)

eclipse have c++ IDE

I like VS2008 (VC++ Express) the best. It's free and it's backwards-compatible with VC6.

VC6 isn't freely available (to my knowledge).
What problems do you have with the new visual IDE? Perhaps we can assist.

the is a free vc6 installer for a freeware version on ms' ftp, but i never got it to work...
code::blocks is very nice, so are the new EE editions of the ms products

I like VS2008 (VC++ Express) the best. ... and it's backwards-compatible with VC6.

No it isn't backward compatible because VC++ 6.0 did not support the c++ standards very well. Code written with VC++ 6.0 will encounter some porting problems when compiled with VC++ 2005 or newer compilers.

Don't bother trying to get a free version of VC++ 6.0 because it really sucks. VC++ 2008 is a much better compiler, but doesn't include some of the whistles & bells that was in VC++ 6.0, such as MFC.

No it isn't backward compatible because VC++ 6.0 did not support the c++ standards very well. Code written with VC++ 6.0 will encounter some porting problems when compiled with VC++ 2005 or newer compilers.

I never had problems with that? Do you mean that some functions have become deprecated, because those warnings are quite easy to solve.
If not: could you post an example if it's not to far off-topic; I'm interested

The only professional one is obviously VS (nothing to see with VC++6)
All customers use VS

I use Dev C++, it is a friendly IDE.

I never had problems with that? Do you mean that some functions have become deprecated, because those warnings are quite easy to solve.
If not: could you post an example if it's not to far off-topic; I'm interested

Here is an example that I encountered. This VC++ 6.0 code snippet will not compile because its non-standard

for(int i = 0; i < 5; i++)
   // do something

if( i == 5)   // <<<< error here because i is undefined but ok in vc++ 6.0
{
   // blabla
}

And if the program uses MFC there have been several MFC changes that might need to be modified (such as CString was changed from a c++ class to a template, which might cause proglems in some programs).

Eclipse is nice. I really like the plugin system. It made developing for QT really easy.

I used to use Dev-CPP, it's nice....
Though i use VS2005

Dev-CPP is a good IDE, for beginners anyway, but its lacking a good debugger. VC++ 2005/8 is the most superior ide/compiler/debugger I've ever seen. I have not used Code::Blocks but if its debugger is anything like that of Dev-CPP then it really sucks.

I hate VC++, its just such a pain to get going, I perfer Dev C++ for ease of use(though it has a lame debugger)

Well, Manutebecker, that was also the case with me, i thought "wtf you can't even compile single source files, you need to make projects first etc..."
But if you just ignore that pain for a few times, you get used to it in no-time

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.