Hi..

I have a question regarding the configuration manager..

Why is it that the samples on the MSDN Learning center cannot be compiled using the default settings? With Itanium as the active solution platform by default, the compiling gets skipped..

However, when I change this to Win32, it compiles.. Isn't Itanium a code for a 64-bit Intel processor?

When making a Windows Forms application, when I right-click on the .h file, there is an option to view designer.

In the samples there are no .h files.. So I cannot view the designer.. I checked the cpp files, they only #include DLL files..

Why is this so?

Thanks..

kreb

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

>>Why is it that the samples on the MSDN Learning center cannot be compiled
Link please so we can check it out

>>With Itanium as the active solution platform by default
I don't have that option on my computer. Only win32. But I suppose you have to be running 64-bit version of the os in order to get it.

>>Why is it that the samples on the MSDN Learning center cannot be compiled
Link please so we can check it out

>>With Itanium as the active solution platform by default
I don't have that option on my computer. Only win32. But I suppose you have to be running 64-bit version of the os in order to get it.

Here's the link..

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=01AE159F-08CD-495B-8BF4-A48CC395AD7B&displaylang=en

Its actually an .exe file, and it installs the samples into a certain directory.. I'm not sure if which directory you're supposed to install it to, but I installed VC++2008 into the default directory, and then I also installed those samples to the default directory.. Just a note, it compiles with the Win32 option, but not with the Itanium option (it gets skipped).. I have a Pentium 4 processor only, I don't think its capable of 64-bit operation/addressing.. Am using WinXP pro SP2..

PS: The available solution platforms are set by the project type, i.e. if you create a WinForms app, you get Itanium as default, and a Win32 option, whereas if you create a Win32 app, all you get is Win32.. However, the samples are defaulting to Itanium, so isnt it supposed to compile as it is? Isn't that the whole point of having samples?

I am running Vista Home, created a CLI/Windows Forms project and still only get Win32 solution platform.

I am running Vista Home, created a CLI/Windows Forms project and still only get Win32 solution platform.

Is a CLI/Windows forms project the same as a Windows Form Application? (I think this is a managed code project using .NET, whatever that means..)

It seems you are right, I tried creating a WinForms app, and am only getting the Win32 solution.. However if you try to open the samples' sln files, you will get an Itanium and x64 option..

Seems a little wierd.. =/

On another note, is the Visual C++ 2008 Express edition not able to make/edit dialog boxes/windows in Win32 app projects? I can only seem to make/edit dialog boxes/windows in WinForm projects, but not in Win32 projects.. I cant "add resource", and there is no .resx file :(

Is a CLI/Windows forms project the same as a Windows Form Application? (I think this is a managed code project using .NET, whatever that means..)

It seems you are right, I tried creating a WinForms app, and am only getting the Win32 solution.. However if you try to open the samples' sln files, you will get an Itanium and x64 option..

Seems a little wierd.. =/

On another note, is the Visual C++ 2008 Express edition not able to make/edit dialog boxes/windows in Win32 app projects? I can only seem to make/edit dialog boxes/windows in WinForm projects, but not in Win32 projects.. I cant "add resource", and there is no .resx file :(

I have VS 2008, the non-Express version, so I don't know the limitations of VS 2008 Express. If I recall correctly in VS 2005 Express your GUI options were severely limited. You were mostly stuck with Console. Ditto with the lack of resource files. I think you have to upgrade from Express for those, but they probably have a 30-day trial or something where you can try it without shelling out. Regarding the Itanium default, it doesn't make any sense to me either. It would just say "skipped" with no explanation why and I was as frustrated as you. Then, after hours or research and experimentation, I finally stumbled on changing that default option. You're completely right. The samples should work right out of the box for pretty much complete novices in my opinion. Visual Studio is a fantastic product in many respects, but it stinks in that one.

I have VS 2008, the non-Express version, so I don't know the limitations of VS 2008 Express. If I recall correctly in VS 2005 Express your GUI options were severely limited. You were mostly stuck with Console. Ditto with the lack of resource files. I think you have to upgrade from Express for those, but they probably have a 30-day trial or something where you can try it without shelling out. Regarding the Itanium default, it doesn't make any sense to me either. It would just say "skipped" with no explanation why and I was as frustrated as you. Then, after hours or research and experimentation, I finally stumbled on changing that default option. You're completely right. The samples should work right out of the box for pretty much complete novices in my opinion. Visual Studio is a fantastic product in many respects, but it stinks in that one.

THanks for clearing it up Vernon, I feel a little relieved to know that I'm not the only one with that problem.. I'll see about getting an upgrade, I don't know yet if its reasonable to upgrade as I'm just a beginning programmer.. Anyway, thanks all.. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.