Hey everyone,

I'm completely new to C# so I'm sorry if I don't make sense.
I need to capture the x and y position of the mouse cursor within a group box (or some other frame). How can I do that?

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

To be more thorough, here's what I'm trying to do...

I need to be able to allow a user to click a button within a frame on the form. Once the user clicks the button, I need the cursor to be confined to only that frame until the button is clicked again. Also, after the first click, I need to continuously output the x and y coordinates of the cursor. This information will later be sent to a controller via com port.

If you can vision the program in your head, it's sort of a remote control program for our robot. We have a wireless keyboard with a mouse built onto it that we use to drive the robot. depending on how far up the frame we move the cursor (and in what direction) determines how the robot responds.

The mousemove event has 2 parameters (object sender, MouseEventArgs e)

e.X and e.Y return the mouses location over the item for which that event fired, eg, if you do it over a picture box it tells you where within the picturebox you are.. This should help

Thanks for the help.
Do you think you could provide an example?

Sorry if the following seems a little offensive, but thats verging on very lazy.

I suppose. I just have no clue how to use what you gave me. I've never really used C#

Well they give your X and Y co-ords, do what you want to do with them..

so if I have a PictureBox... where would I code the MouseMove event? Sorry for being soooo new ... sort of embarrassing actually. I know C++ well, i just heard that C# is easier than Visual C++. :(

Here's what I have so far... but nothing happens:

private void groupBox1_MouseMove(object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
        {
            int x;
            int y;
            x = e.X;
            y = e.Y;

label1.Text = x.ToString();
            label2.Text = y.ToString();
        }

Hi, your above code will work when you move the mouse over groupBox1, it will show the X and y position of the Mouse

I need to be able to allow a user to click a button within a frame on the form. Once the user clicks the button, I need the cursor to be confined to only that frame until the button is clicked again.

From your question, I think you want to restrict the Mouse Cursor only within GroupBox. Is it?

If it is correct,
Clip the Cursor using Cursor.Clip.

Or I may be wrong

Thanks for the reply. When I run the program nothing happens to label1 and label2 when I move my mouse over the box. The text stays at "label1" and "label2" :(

Also about the Cursor.Clip... I have no clue how to use that. What does it do?

Thanks for the help!

I got the first part to work!!
Can you help with the Cursor.Clip part now? Also, how can I make the cursor start at the center of the picture box?

Here's my code:

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Data;
using System.Drawing;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using System.Windows.Forms;

namespace Anassa
{
    public partial class Form1 : Form
    {
        bool remote = false;
        public Form1()
        {
            InitializeComponent();
        }

private void Form1_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {

}

private void pictureBox1_MouseMove(object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
        {
            if (remote)
            {
                label1.Text = e.X.ToString();
                label2.Text = e.Y.ToString();
            }
        }

private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            if (remote == false)
                remote = true;
            else
                remote = false;
        }
    }
}

Thanks!!

Ya Nice,

>>To Clip the Cursor, you have to Capture it First. To do use Cursor.Capture = true in button1_Click.

>>Another thing is to set the Bounding Rectangle of the Clipping area.

Cursor.Clip = Clipping Rectangle

In this case pictureBox1.ClientRectangle
Cursor.Clip = pictureBox1.ClientRectangle

but Cursor.Clip requires coordinates in Screen position so Convert the Rectangle to Screen Position First using pictureBox1.RectangleToScreen ()

>>Then set this rectangle to Cursor.Clip. It will clip the cursor right now.

- To finish the Clipping, that is when click the button again, set Cursor.Clip to Screen Bounds and Cursor.Capture = false to the previous state(inside button1_click when remote = true).

To Center the Cursor
>> First calculate the Center using pictureBox1.Width/2 and Height/2

>> Use Cursor.Position to center the cursor.
>> But it also requires the coordinates in Screen position So convert the Center point into Screen coordinate using pictureBox1.PointToScreen().
>> Then set Cursor.Position = Center

I've given the direction, i hope you will develop the code.

Ya Nice,

>>To Clip the Cursor, you have to Capture it First. To do use Cursor.Capture = true in button1_Click.

>>Another thing is to set the Bounding Rectangle of the Clipping area.

Cursor.Clip = Clipping Rectangle

In this case pictureBox1.ClientRectangle
Cursor.Clip = pictureBox1.ClientRectangle

but Cursor.Clip requires coordinates in Screen position so Convert the Rectangle to Screen Position First using pictureBox1.RectangleToScreen ()

>>Then set this rectangle to Cursor.Clip. It will clip the cursor right now.

- To finish the Clipping, that is when click the button again, set Cursor.Clip to Screen Bounds and Cursor.Capture = false to the previous state(inside button1_click when remote = true).

To Center the Cursor
>> First calculate the Center using pictureBox1.Width/2 and Height/2

>> Use Cursor.Position to center the cursor.
>> But it also requires the coordinates in Screen position So convert the Center point into Screen coordinate using pictureBox1.PointToScreen().
>> Then set Cursor.Position = Center

I've given the direction, i hope you will develop the code.

Thanks, that helps a ton! I'm going to start coding again tomorrow after class. I'll let you know how it works!

Be aware in your code if you did apply the clip you wouldnt be able to press the button.

I was thinking about that myself. What I'll probably do is modify the button to be a small "x" in the center of the coordinate plane. Thanks!

Hey dude, hahaha, welcome to the confusion club, heres what you'll do ...

private void Form1_MouseMove(object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
        {
            int X = MousePosition.X;
            int Y = MousePosition.Y;

TxtShowX.Text = X.ToString();
            txtShowY.Text = Y.ToString();

if (MousePosition.IsEmpty == true)
            {
                TxtShowX.Text = "Mouve The Mouse";
                txtShowY.Text = "Mouve The Mouse";
            }

Dude i just tried it and it works funky chicken

Maybe you can help me with datagridview ???

Have a nice day man

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.