Dear guys,

Can anyone help me out to open up a windows default dialog box in C# to browse folder and the folder path be displayed in the lab/edit box.

I am new at C#. Just created a simple form application and now looking to do the backend coding

Regards,
Ali

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

If you are using VS 2008 or VS 2005 just drop an OpenFileDialog from the toolbox on your form

If you are using VS 2008 or VS 2005 just drop an OpenFileDialog from the toolbox on your form

Yes, I am using VS 2008 and i've drag and drop an openFileDialog but how can I initiate it. It simply shows below the Main form i've created with buttons on it.

Do I need to initiate behind any button click event?

thx

You essentially do something like this

private void button1_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
{
   if(openFileDialog1.ShowDialog() == DialogResult.OK)
   {
// The ShowDialog does just what it says
//Do whatever you like to do when you clicked OK button in the dialog, see also hints by Antenka
    }
}

Thanks that helps...

Can you also show me how to return the selected folder path in a label once user selects/browses the folder and presses ok in folderBrowserDialog

thx

You essentially do something like this

private void button1_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
{
   if(openFileDialog1.ShowDialog() == DialogResult.OK)
   {
// The ShowDialog does just what it says
//Do whatever you like to do when you clicked OK button in the dialog, see also hints by Antenka
    }
}

Have you checked what properties and how to use the dialogbox as per the helpfile? If we hand you all the code you dont learn how to find these things and will end up frustrated as you have to ask for everything and it takes longer.

If you look at the dialogbox in the helpfile, it has examples, it shows how to get the filename and stuff back, then the label component has properties of its own and you can see how to apply them..

Far more pride and joy is got by doing it yourself.

Totally agree to your message. I just figured it out. Thanks to all the forum members who replied. Just one more thing as of now, can I truncate the selectedPath to only the folder name that the users selects. folderName shows the complete path and i don't have much space in the designed label to cater to the long and lengthy paths.

private void button2_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {

DialogResult result = folderBrowserDialog1.ShowDialog();
             if (result == DialogResult.OK)
             {
                 folderName = folderBrowserDialog1.SelectedPath;
             }
             lPath.Text = folderName;

}

Have you checked what properties and how to use the dialogbox as per the helpfile? If we hand you all the code you dont learn how to find these things and will end up frustrated as you have to ask for everything and it takes longer.

If you look at the dialogbox in the helpfile, it has examples, it shows how to get the filename and stuff back, then the label component has properties of its own and you can see how to apply them..

Far more pride and joy is got by doing it yourself.

Sure, you can, e.g. using method LastIndexOf() to find the last slash character in the returned string ... your folder name will be placed after the last slash.

Or you could do it more simply with System.IO.Path.GetDirectoryName

commented: Oh yeah. That's better way :) +1
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.