Can I do this?

while(variable=functionCall()!=0){

/* ... */

}

the function I'm calling, is returning a 3, but the variable in the while loop is equal to 1...
I'm not sure what is happening in this statement, Originally I thought it would just always evaluate to true and loop forever since, variable would be successfully set to functionCall()'s return value, therefore evaluating to 1, and 1 does not equal zero, so that too would evaluate to 1 (true) and loop forever... but it sets variable to 1 and then exits the while loop--what's going on?

functionCall() gets input from the user so I can only call it once really, I was going for while(functionCall()!=0){ } , but then I wouldn't be able to check the return value within the loop. I could do something else but I wanted to use this method, so I'm just wondering what it's actually doing.

variable would be successfully set to functionCall()'s return value

no way, variable is set to true, because functionCall()!=0 is true. in this case true means 1

p.s. And yes, this does loop forever if functionCall() really returns 3

you should try something like this:

while ((variable = functionCall())!=0)

because it seems to me that variable is given the value of evaluation: functionCall()!=0, so you just need to use one more pair of brackets...
I hope this helps :D

@da penguin, oh right, I forgot about right->left order, and you're right it was looping forever--there are two loops working together and I was mistaken with which loop I was in at what time.

@Alibeg, it worked great, thank you!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.