Hi All,
"incremental" flag is used for incremental compilation i.e. when this flag is used, csc compiler will compile only those file that have changed.
This flag is exist in C# 1.1, but obsolete in C# 2.0 compiler.
Can anybody tell me the replacement of this flag in C# 2.0 compiler (csc command line compiler) ?
How to do incremental compilation in C# 2.0 compilation (csc command line compiler) ?
I just want to compile the those files that have changed.
Please help me out.... :(

NOTE: I am compiling through command line.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Normally thats what it does by default.

Normally thats what it does by default.

You mean to say that by default C# 2.0 csc (command line compiler) will pick only those file of project that have got changed....
Suppose in my project there are four files....
one.cs
two.cs
three.cs
four.cs

Command to make exe is (assuming that all the four files are in same directory):
> csc /target.exe *.cs

and it creats "one.exe".... (assuming that one.cs contains "main" method)

After that I have made some changes/modifications in two.cs.
Now I want that csc compiler should compile only two.cs and not the other files (since they have not changed/modified), then what command should I fire to make exe?

While its the default option usually from within VS, it seems you couldnt be bothered to google as the first hit for me answered the question.

While its the default option usually from within VS, it seems you couldnt be bothered to google as the first hit for me answered the question.

I agree that it would be default option within VS.
But I am not using VS IDE for compilation.
I am compiling it from command line, as i shown you one of the command in my last reply.
I have searched a lot in net to find out the replacement of "incremental" flag in C# 2.0 csc compiler.
But have not got any clue about its replacement or any other workaround with some other C# 2.0 csc compiler flags.
Even in MSDN, for "Microsoft Visual Studio 2005/.NET Framework 2.0, C# Compiler Options", its only written that :
"/incremental : Enables incremental compilation [obsolete]."
but nothing about its replacement.

Since, I did not get any clue about it, so I thought to put up my query in C# forum.... expecting someone to have answer of my query....

>> "/incremental : Enables incremental compilation [[B]obsolete[/B]]."
What do you think that means?
The guys at MS probably have there reasons to make it obsolete.
See also what LizR already said.
So why bother?
A compexity less to worry about I should say!
More time to spend on programming!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.