Their are commercial/delphi solutions to reading GPS input from the USB port but these do maybe 10, 20 or a 100 things whereas I used to read input via the COM port and then do whatever after that. Is there a small (?) piece of delphi (7 or lower) code even if it must be bought which shows how to read input from the USB port.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

USB ports arent seen like com or lpt ports, it needs a specific drive, and understanding on how to work with it - unless you can find some form of instruction on making calls to your specific device. It could be very difficult.

I researched for about 6 to 8 hours on the internet and found "expensive" products but am still hoping for just the part of the solution. I will implement 10's of thousands of lines of code to solve all sorts of problems but do not want to re-invent a wheel someone already has made... I'm not sure from whom the comment below your answer comes, because I work thousands of hours on logic problems but these sort of machine based access problems I want to trust others more close to the machine work with and may be able to help!
I think it's a funny/clever response but in this case not appreciated!

Its not supposed to be funny or clever. Its the simple truth. You dont access a USB device in terms like COM1, LPT1, as a result unless you can find code to help you use the drive for the GPS device. You wont get anywhere fast.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.