Ok...so I have a project due in 3 weeks and I haven't started. If i don't get it done I won't be able to graduate...the problem is i don't get java AT ALL...if anyone is willing to help me out with parts of the project..i would deeply appreciate it. I'm supposed to make a system that is similar to a Volunteer system. It has a database of volunteers (stored on one random access file) and the hours that they worked (stored on another file in a linked list). I was going to make it a GUI but I'm not sure if it's realistic any more.

The following need to be in the program:
1. Adding data to an instance of the RandomAccessFile class by direct manipulation of the file
pointer using the seek method
2. Deleting data from an instance of the RandomAccessFile class by direct manipulation of the file
pointer using the seek method. (Data primitives or objects may be shuffled or marked as deleted
by use of a flag field. Therefore files may be ordered or unordered).
3. Searching for specified data in an instance of the RandomAccessFile class.
4. Recursion
5. Merging two or more sorted data structures
6. Polymorphism
7. Inheritance
8. Encapsulation
9. Parsing a text file or other data stream
10. Implementing a hierarchical composite data structure. A composite data structure in this
definition is a class implementing a record style data structure. A hierarchical composite data
structure is one that contains more than one element and at least one of the elements is a
composite data structure. Examples are, an array or linked list of records, a record that has one
field that is another record, or an array.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

do you know what each of those techniques is? first of all you should have some idea of where each of those techniques will be useful in your program (so you need to understand them first).

well...apart from recursion I don't really understand the concepts of any of them which is why I'm having so much trouble..my java is horrible too.

the concepts and java are not that strongly related. what I mean is, if you learn those techniques, they generally apply to most other languages too (maybe with different names and some slightly different implementations).

if you can get access to a textbook, that will help you out a lot. for the moment don't waste too much time trying things by simply copying / pasting from websites and try to get a good understanding of those topics.

Ok...so I have a project due in 3 weeks and I haven't started. If i don't get it done I won't be able to graduate...

no offence, but these sentences say it all.
YOU have a project, YOU didn't bother to start working on it, so yes, most likely, YOU won't graduate. funny thing, with education. sometimes they actually expect you to do some work

no offence, but these sentences say it all.
YOU have a project, YOU didn't bother to start working on it, so yes, most likely, YOU won't graduate. funny thing, with education. sometimes they actually expect you to do some work

+1. What's that saying? ...........help those who help themselves :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.