Hello all... working on a queuing project for about 10 users, which is pretty simple in theory. I have the tables and forms done (or close) but am not sure exactly how I'm going to get the data from an FTP server into my table. The table was set up to mimic the contents of the files on the FTP site.

Here it is in a nutshell:

• Vendor sends 4 files, 4 times a day. Each of those files is a zip file containing two MS Excel files. Names of the zip and excel files increment predictably (they abc111, abc112, abc113, etc).
  • Each line item in each Excel file will be it's own record in the db.

I need some process which will go out to the ftp site, check the date/time stamp on the file, and if the stamp has changed, open the zip file, extract the excel files and pull the content into the db.

Can that be done by somebody with little experience, or is it best to leave that as a manual process? Would a batch file be better than VBA for this?

Thank you for any information, assistance, or guidance on where I can crack this one open.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

if you are using oracle as database then can use external table for the best solution,but you need to extract the zip first.

if you are using oracle as database then can use external table for the best solution,but you need to extract the zip first.

Thanks for the input...
Actually, I'm just using the inherent access db, not linking to Oracle. Don't have access to much of anything other than the Office 2007 suite and a bunch of network servers.
Appreciate the response - have a great day!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.