Hi,

I'm trying to pass parameters to an exe file using C++...i tried the following code:

system("FileName.exe");

but this command line just fire the .exe file without passing any arguments...

Thanks,

Mostafa Fouly

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I've never done this, but it doesn't look you passed any arguments? What about

system("FileName.exe arg1 arg2");

Hi,

I'm trying to pass parameters to an exe file using C++...i tried the following code:

system("FileName.exe");

but this command line just fire the .exe file without passing any arguments...

Thanks,

Mostafa Fouly

In order to pass arguments you have to pass arguments. All you did was execute the program.

yes i know that in this example i just passed fired the .exe file and that's am asking about how to pass arguments to an exe file???

I've never done this, but it doesn't look you passed any arguments

You are right. he has just called the program without any command line argument.
Also, you answered it rightly to him.
As a matter of explanation: the system() function takes a Cstring and pass it to the command prompt( or terminal or shell for Linux user) and then returns a value which is platform dependent.
So, while using system(), assume as if you were typing everything at the command prompt.
So, the correct thing as daviddoria said, will be: system("FileName.exe arg1 arg2"); Also this is even good:

std::string s1;
getline(std::cin,s1);//take command from user
system(s1.c_str());//pass it to the shell
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.