Hello daniweb community !
I'm finishing my second year of IT studies and the university is giving us the opportunity to engage in a project with a company. I found a good company but now i'm looking for a good project to work on.

I was thinking doing something in java but because we didn't studied it yet i don't know much about it. (I do have good marks at C/C++ though, i'm not lazy).
So what i really want to ask if you guys can give me suggestions of some projects that are possible to start and finish it in a period of 3 weeks (knowing almost nothing about java)! I know this could be hard but I _AM_ looking forward to study hard and intense! Seriously ...

For ex. somebody proposed me to make a web site that will interact with a database (SQL maybe) in some way. How possible is that for 3 weeks?
Pls give more ideas telling me about their complicity . I really want to do something cool and yet ...real.

==========================
I know there is another thread about the same subject but it's been dead for years. And nobody pays attention because of the silliness of the poster.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I know there is another thread about the same subject but it's been dead for years. And nobody pays attention because of the silliness of the poster.

There are a couple of THOUSAND threads regarding project ideas and as a result, most get ignored or flamed. However, I won't do that (this time ;)) .

Three weeks + no Java experience? I say throw out the idea of making it web-based and throw out the idea of making it involve a database. Those are both doable, but in my opinion, learn basic Java first. Making it web-based and involving a database just complicates things. Learn how to do those things later, at your leisure. If you feel like doing something with sockets, that's cool, and in my opinion, easier.

Everybody likes Graphics and games, so I would learn Java Swing and make a little shoot 'em up game using a MouseListener and some ActionListeners. Have little circles move around the screen and shoot them and blow them up. If you have time after that, make it multi-player with sockets, but that might be a little ambitious for three weeks, starting from scratch. But I think a nice shoot-em-up game, single player, no database, no web, no sockets, is doable in three weeks. Better to get something simple done and done right and on time than make it over-complicated and thus unfinished. We've all done that, many times, and regretted it.

Thank you for the suggestion and explanations ! They help me!
But my company is a serious one and i don't know how happy they'll be when i'll tell them "Hey, i'm going to 'play' a game". You see, the company makes software for banks and other things that big. (It's called ENDAVA, maybe some heard about it.)
When i said about my idea of making a site with a database, they said it's a great idea. So maybe you can suggest something else?

I was thinking maybe to try an application installer? What do you say?

Thank you for the suggestion and explanations ! They help me!
But my company is a serious one and i don't know how happy they'll be when i'll tell them "Hey, i'm going to 'play' a game". You see, the company makes software for banks and other things that big. (It's called ENDAVA, maybe some heard about it.)
When i said about my idea of making a site with a database, they said it's a great idea. So maybe you can suggest something else?

I was thinking maybe to try an application installer? What do you say?

I've never written an application installer, so I have no clue what that involves. How about, instead of a game, write a physics tutorial that shows balls colliding when you have certain balls of certain sizes going at certain speeds and angles, and you show the balls knocking off of each other? If it's a banking type of company, you can set up a (very simple) spreadsheet in Java where they can type in the original velocities and masses. Or if you want to be financial, a bunch of financial data, have it do some formulas, then graph it in Java. If you really want to involve a database and the web, you could do that too, depending on how well you know database and web programming. If you design it well, you'll design it so that if need be, you still have a workable program that you can demonstrate well even WITHOUT a database and/or the web. That way if you finish the Java part quickly, you can give the other stuff a try. It's not all that hard getting data from a database in Java, but that assumes everything is configured to let you do so, and you have a steep learning curve. It's up to you. Design the project to the audience. But again, three weeks? Things could go perfectly in your learning curve and you could pull off a kick-ass project. Or they might not go perfectly and you're in trouble. My general philosophy is "Go small so you know for sure that you'll have something." Good luck.

commented: helpful +1

Just a thought. Since you are trying to write an app for a bank. What about something like a mortgage calculator app. Take a little time to get used to swing and get some information from the bank or even online about calculations a broker may need to make over and over again in a day and then make a calculator that they can just plug the numbers into and click calculate. Good luck!

Not really necessary speaking of a application for a bank. Any good project idea and manageable in three weeks is welcome !

Thanks for the tips.

I've never written an application installer, so I have no clue what that involves. How about, instead of a game, write a physics tutorial that shows balls colliding when you have certain balls of certain sizes going at certain speeds and angles, and you show the balls knocking off of each other? If it's a banking type of company, you can set up a (very simple) spreadsheet in Java where they can type in the original velocities and masses. Or if you want to be financial, a bunch of financial data, have it do some formulas, then graph it in Java. If you really want to involve a database and the web, you could do that too, depending on how well you know database and web programming. If you design it well, you'll design it so that if need be, you still have a workable program that you can demonstrate well even WITHOUT a database and/or the web. That way if you finish the Java part quickly, you can give the other stuff a try. It's not all that hard getting data from a database in Java, but that assumes everything is configured to let you do so, and you have a steep learning curve. It's up to you. Design the project to the audience. But again, three weeks? Things could go perfectly in your learning curve and you could pull off a kick-ass project. Or they might not go perfectly and you're in trouble. My general philosophy is "Go small so you know for sure that you'll have something." Good luck.

Thank you for the ideas.. Good one.. Really helpful

Hello everybody.. 2 weeks have passed since i was doing my summer project and i want to say that so far i managed to do a website that stores books in a database and allows to filter them by categories .. all in java. Thanks for your tips.
I'm working now on the admin's panel of the site. :)

ER Daigram of RTO Management System(Riginal Transfer Office).

Hey guys,I am a senior with a computer science major & I was wondering If anybody is interested in sharing some ideas for my final year project which I plan to do in JAVA!!!!I am thinking of animating sth but I cant see how practical JAVA is for that!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.