Hello everyone,

I am using HTTP protocol to transfer large amount of data across two machines. And I have found out that some packages will be lost when using the following source codes. I am wondering whether there are anything wrong or potential issues in them.

Data request

URLConnection conn = url.openConnection();
	conn.connect();
	InputStream is = conn.getInputStream();
	while (true)
	{
		// read a buffer from is

// if no more data, escape from while loop

// process the data contained in the buffer
	}

Data response

protected void doGet(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse 

res) throws ServletException, IOException {

OutputStream os = res.getOutputStream();
	while (true)
	{
		// read a buffer from a large file

// modify buffer according to application logics

// if no more data, escape from while loop

// write modified buffer to os
	}

}

I am wondering whether the package losing is caused by the reason that, data response is too fast than data receiving so data receiving application will miss some chances to read packages.

I am also wondering what is the effective approach of transfering data across two machines using HTTP protocol without losing any packages. Are there any online samples?

Thanks in advance,
George

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I could be wrong about this, but I would think no matter how you do it, it would be possible to loose some packets due to the quality of the connection, and so forth. Again, I could be wrong, so maybe somone that knows a little more than me can help you.

Thanks server_crash,

I could be wrong about this, but I would think no matter how you do it, it would be possible to loose some packets due to the quality of the connection, and so forth. Again, I could be wrong, so maybe somone that knows a little more than me can help you.

Your idea is very helpful. Do you know any online resources dealing with similar topics?

regards,
George

Sorry, I don't know very much about network programming. Hopefully, someone that knows something about it will come along and help you. sorry!

Never mind server_crash, thanks all the same.

Sorry, I don't know very much about network programming. Hopefully, someone that knows something about it will come along and help you. sorry!

regards,
George

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.