Is there a different version if IDLE for Python 3.0(Python 300, Py3k)?? If there is, how do I download it?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Doesn't the windows installer come with it?

EDIT:
for Ubuntu, it should be sudo apt-get install idle-python3.0

If you're using the windows version of Python3.0 and for some reason you haven't got the shortcuts to idle (i.e. the installer failed to create them, you accidentally deleted them or you used a source package rather than the installer) you can create them manually by right-clicking on your desktop and selecting new->shortcut.
Next, navigate to idle.pyw and select OK and the shortcut will be created...

On a typical windows python install, you'll find idle in the following directory:
C:\python30\lib\idlelib\idle.pyw

If you're on *nix, you'll have to either download and install the idle-python3.0 package with your OS's package manager or via the command line (see shadwicks post for ubuntu cmd line example!)

Cheers for now,
Jas.

p.s. If you used a source package and/or you can't find idle.pyw, try downloading the windows installer and install it that way instead!

I you are on Windows and have several versions of Python installed, you can write a little batch file to make sure the IDLE of the correct version is runnig:

REM a batch file to force IDLE to use Pyhon30
REM saved as IDLE30.bat
C:\Python30\pythonw.exe -u C:\Python30\Lib\idlelib\idle.pyw

The poor quality keyboard on my HP notbook coputer is givig me the fits!

Hey thanks everyone, it turns out that I didn't install it properly :P

Thanks for the info, we can now stop scratching our heads!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.