Member Avatar for leegeorg07

Hi I was wondering if there has ever been/ are plans to be a python os and if it exists where could it be found? secondly i was wondering if python could be installed on windows mobile or android?

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

If you mean by "Python OS", an operating system that's built purely on Python, then no. As far as I know, that wouldn't work anyway because the interpreter to run Python needs an OS to run on in the first place (?). Correct me if I'm wrong though...

And I'm not sure about Python with Android, although I believe Jython may work and you can access the Java API that way.

Python is too high level language to write an os in

Yeah i agree, i think the best that you could do was boot into windows or something and then just start you new 'python OS' being a fullscreen gui that can do things that you want it to.
But as for an actual os, it is impossible as python isnt low-level enough and needs an interpreter.

Linux is by a good extent a "python OS". Okay that's misleading because the kernel itself isn't written in Python, but most distros would break if you remove it.

In the past there have been several projects to write an Operating System in Python. The one that survived seems to be cleese:
http://code.google.com/p/cleese/

Remember that Python is a glue language and can easily use ABC or C to do the low level stuff.

To write a modern OS would be a massive effort that would take hundreds of smart folks several years.

commented: I'll have to try this one :) +19
Member Avatar for sravan953

@Vegaseat: I think it would take you only few days! :D

@sravan953: LOL!!!
@Vegaseat: thanks, do you know where i can download it (i really wanna try it)
@Shadwickman: thanks for the jython suggestion i'll have to try it out when i get the g2, if i ever get it :D

Looks like you can connect anonymously via HTTP and browse the source.
http://cleese.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

You'd need to build it yourself, and definitely have a look through their wiki to see if they have any in-depth instructions for that, along with dependencies, etc.

cool thanks, i'm kinda new to the whole open source downloading like that so how would i download that? sorry if im being annoying but it sounds really cool

You can browse through that svn tree like folders, and save/view the files in each one. Look at their GoogleCode wiki for info about each of the topics (boot, boa, etc.).

oh cool thanks, im gunna try do it all in 5 mins otherwise ill do it when i get home (at school atm)

Hi, me again, sorry if this sounds completely noobish but I have no idea what to do, even with shadwickman's help could anyone help?

Hi, me again, sorry if this sounds completely noobish but I have no idea what to do, even with shadwickman's help could anyone help?

You have no idea what to do with regards to what? You don't know how to download the files? Browse the source tree? What?

all of it, to be honest the only thing im good at with computers is fb trolling :D

We could all just wait until the Google Chrome OS comes out. The source code will be published by the end of this year. According to Google, the new OS is supposed to be free, lean, fast, tight, and safe from virus attack.

Knowing Google, there might just be some Python involved.

If you mean by "Python OS", an operating system that's built purely on Python, then no. As far as I know, that wouldn't work anyway because the interpreter to run Python needs an OS to run on in the first place (?). Correct me if I'm wrong though...

Python is too high level language to write an os in

MS Research made an OS that was written in C#.NET apart from a tiny bootstrapper which is enough to boot the PC, and start the interpreter.

cool thanks ill wait

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.