Hi

I am trying to teach myself C++ windows programing, ie creating windows applications (is that GUI or API or neither :P). I know the fundamentals of C++ programming but looking at some windows code it looks really difficult.

Can you suggest any good books or maybe some tutorial sites to start learning Windows programming? Preferably books though :)

Plus is it better to start off learning API then GUI or visa versa?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

if you change your mind and learn wxWidgets insteda there is free Ebook (pdf). Just search somewhere in the forum

tutorial

Lots of good books here

thanks for the links :)

Is'nt that tutorial site learning API coding in C & not C++? I am not familiar with C.

thanks for the links :)

Is'nt that tutorial site learning API coding in C & not C++? I am not familiar with C.

I know, it says that it's for C, but it will work with C++ as well.

what api would you all recommend to learn? i dont really want to use visual c++ .net since i want it to be independent from the .net library. is there an api that is easily bundled with the exe such as when you install many windows programs it just works with out any additional libraries.

what api would you all recommend to learn? i dont really want to use visual c++ .net since i want it to be independent from the .net library. is there an api that is easily bundled with the exe such as when you install many windows programs it just works with out any additional libraries.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 (Professional and Express Edition) both allow you to compile your code as a native Windows executable, so the application compiled as a native Windows executable will be able to run without .NET Framework.

From Wikipedia:

Visual C++ 2008 Express can build both native and managed applications.

( Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visual_Studio_Express )

what api would you all recommend to learn? i dont really want to use visual c++ .net since i want it to be independent from the .net library.

There is only one win32 api and has nothing to do with .NET. All win32 api functions can be called from any programming language, such as C, C++ and VB and just about any other programming language you can think of.

If you want a c++ version, then wxWindows might be a better choice for you. wxWindows is also portable to other platforms, such as *nix.

is there an api that is easily bundled with the exe such as when you install many windows programs it just works with out any additional libraries.

Any good installation program will check to see that the target computer contains the required Microsoft os DLLs and update them if necessary. The term for that is typically called "DLL Hell!" Normally if the program is compiled without debug information and installed in XP or newer os then there won't be a problem. The real DLL problem occurs when you use win32 api functions and/or features that require a minimum of one version of Windows (such as Vista) and you want to install it on a computer that has an older version of the os.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 (Professional and Express Edition) both allow you to compile your code as a native Windows executable, so the application compiled as a native Windows executable will be able to run without .NET Framework.

From Wikipedia:

( Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visual_Studio_Express )

That's correct -- but I don't think you can get a version of Windows that doesn't include the .NET Framework. Its like asking for a version of Windows without IE -- it won't happen.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.