so i have a workbook which consists of 7 sheets. i have a macro that is creating an 8th sheet. now what i wanna do is compare each individual cell in one of the columns of the 8th sheet with every cell in one of the columns in the 3rd sheet. then if there is a match, i want it to say "hardware" in the next column over corresponding to the cell with the match in the 8th sheet. i hope this makes sense. i have tried to simplify it as much as possible. how would i go about this?

i wanted to make it more clear by giving an example of what i am trying to do:

sheet 8
column2
oracle 9.2.0.5
windows 2000
hp rx7420
ms sql
hp dl380 g3

sheet 3
column 1
hp dl380 g3
hp rx7420
hp rp7500
hp dl580 g2
etc.

so now i want to write a macro that will check each cell in column2 of sheet 8 with every single cell of column1 of sheet 3 to see if there is a match or not, not just the corresponding cell. so in the example above, it would check oracle 9.2.0.5 with every cell in sheet 3 column 1, and since it does not match with any of them, it would do nothing and go to the next one. skipping to hp rx7420, it would check with each cell in sheet 3 column1, and would find that there is a match in the second row so it would say "hardware" in a new column in sheet 8 that corresponds to hp rx7420. does this make sense? let me know if more clarification is needed. thanks in advance

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.