Hi i need some help with a project i'm working on.
Little explanation on it first then ill tell you where i am what i need help with and post code and maybe a screenshot.

Well its a usb launcher its supposed to launch your usb drive and also has two combo boxes for launching of programs and folders that you specify and has a mini notepad i wrote in like 5 minutes.

What i have so far:
Custom Icons
Notepad done
Buttons for program files and c drive
toolstrip with a split button for many dialog (add remove Programs/Folders.) Custom made programs built into the launcher
Code so far:
Form1.VB

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        ToolStripStatusLabel1.Visible = True
        ToolStripStatusLabel1.Text = "USB Drive Opened"

End Sub

Private Sub QuickPadToolStripMenuItem_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles QuickPadToolStripMenuItem.Click
        Form2.ShowDialog()
    End Sub

Private Sub OpenToolStripMenuItem_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles OpenToolStripMenuItem.Click

End Sub

Private Sub ProgramFilesToolStripMenuItem_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles ProgramFilesToolStripMenuItem.Click
        Process.Start("C:\Program Files")
        ToolStripStatusLabel1.Text = "Program Files Opened"
    End Sub

Private Sub CDriveToolStripMenuItem_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles CDriveToolStripMenuItem.Click
        Process.Start("C:\")
        ToolStripStatusLabel1.Text = "Hard Drive Opened"
    End Sub

Private Sub DirectoryToolStripMenuItem_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles DirectoryToolStripMenuItem.Click
        FolderBrowserDialog1.ShowDialog()

End Sub
End Class

Where im stuck at
Add/Remove Programs/Folders
I want it so when you hit Add/Remove Programs/Folders it will put it into a xml file then load it into a combo box under a category or remove it based on wheter or not you hit add or remove

USB Launch Button
I dont know how to open a removeable drive or any drive without the Process.Start ("") code and i dont want it to be linked to mine i want it to be either changeable or a varible in the registry to locate a removable drive and open it

btw im very new to this so please explain it as easy as possible:P
Screenshot:

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

sorry im making another post but i cant edit my old one:P

but i decided agaisnt xml and now using ini files with something called Nini

if someone can help me with whenever someone clicks the text it then combo box it corresponds to whatever folder or program that text is linked to and i also need help with the combo box taking its items list from the ini file

and here is the code for the ini file

; This is where all the configurations are.
; Dont delete this file or the program will stop working
[Logging]
File Name = USB Launcher.log
MessageColumns = 5
MaxFileSize = 4000000
[Folders]
List = C:\
[Programs]
List =

sorry im making another post but i cant edit my old one:P

but i decided agaisnt xml and now using ini files with something called Nini

if someone can help me with whenever someone clicks the text it then combo box it corresponds to whatever folder or program that text is linked to and i also need help with the combo box taking its items list from the ini file

and here is the code for the ini file

; This is where all the configurations are.
; Dont delete this file or the program will stop working
[Logging]
File Name = USB Launcher.log
MessageColumns = 5
MaxFileSize = 4000000
[Folders]
List = C:\
[Programs]
List =

You can use INI files, however, you can take care of this in a few different ways you will find is a lot easier.

One way is to create a custom Object that represents the unit of work you are trying to accomplish.

This object will have all of the properties and methods for dealing with the configuration information you want to persist to a file. Simply put an attribute at the top of your class like the following:
<Serializable()> _
Public Class1

This will allow serialization of this object. You can do a search on the web for serializing objects to and from files.

Another perhaps easier way, is to use a Dataset.

In a dataset, you can create one or more tables dynamically, and use the WriteXML and ReadXML methods to save and retrieve these settings of your dataset.

Just do a search on serializing, you'll find a wealth of data on the topic.

Hope this helps.

I would highly recommend using XML Serialization. INI is going back in time :(

thanks i decided to use XML Serialization but a few more questions how would i like the Open USB Button to something configurable? like say someone wanted it to open there own usb drive? and how would i make it go to taskbar near the clock on minimize? and one more if someone added something to a combobox when they click it how could i get the program to open it?

You should create new threads for your new questions, and one question per thread where possible.

im gunna mark this as solved because well ive given up on this :P so ya

help me to download crystal report 8.5

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.