K. I've put up with this issue for long enough and have decided to solve it once and for all. Halp?

For those who dont know what i'm talking about, its the damned VC++ error
"Resource file *.ico is not in valid 3.00 format"
^^headache. Googling doesn't help. I made the icon in Paint.NET and saved it as .ico.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

This was the very first hit with google

Yup, it was. But the first response, and the only one i was interested in (Convert to 24-bit bitmap) didn't work. As for the IrfanView one, i want to do this using C/C++ code, not a third party software :)

Which version of visual studio are you using?

Yup, it was. But the first response, and the only one i was interested in (Convert to 24-bit bitmap) didn't work. As for the IrfanView one, i want to do this using C/C++ code, not a third party software :)

you can not create *.ico with c++. You need some sort of graphics editor to do that. IrfanView does nothing more than convert files in whatever format you want. I've never used it so I don't know how it works.

Which version of visual studio are you using?

VC++ 2008 Express edition.

@Dragon: I didn't make in in C++ (And i can't either), I made it in Paint.NET. And i dont want to use IrfanView, i've never used it either and i dont have it.

MSDN help answer for this question as:
"Note Photoshop is the recommended image creation tool because Gif Movie Gear, the tool we use to create the .ico files, offers a direct import of Photoshop files."

So if you are the windows user just buy Photoshop and install GMG to edit icons. M-ha-h-a... i have never seen so stupid icon edition even in very old Amiga OS. )))))))

MSDN help answer for this question as:
"Note Photoshop is the recommended image creation tool because Gif Movie Gear, the tool we use to create the .ico files, offers a direct import of Photoshop files."

So if you are the windows user just buy Photoshop and install GMG to edit icons. M-ha-h-a... i have never seen so stupid icon edition even in very old Amiga OS. )))))))

Thank you for your post, but this thread is pretty old, and i believe the moderators dont like it when old threads are bumped. Maybe you should read the rules ;)
Nonetheless, thank you for your help, though i havent practices C++ for quite a while hahaha

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.