K, so i decided that i'm fed up of VC++. It was throwing me lots of stupid errors. Anyway, i'd heard that Code::blocks is much better, and a bargain for 30 MB.
Installed it and stuff with ease, and decided to test it with a helloworld program. Thing is, when i decided to compile the program, it wouldn't compile.

* Release" uses an invalid compiler. Skipping...
Nothing to be done.

Followed some google links that told me to see the compiler and debugger settings, and check to see the compiler. I have Borland C++ compiler in, say, C:/Borland/BCC55.
So i set the SELECTED COMPILER dropdown to Borland C++ compiler(5.5, 5.82) and in search directories, set the path to the respective directories.

It still was stubborn and showed that error. More googling followed. I was led to project>build options where i confirmed that the selected compiler was Borland.

Halp?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

>>so i decided that i'm fed up of VC++. It was throwing me lots of stupid errors.
LMAO :) :) The errors are reported for a purpose -- because you wrote a buggy program. There are some warnings about depreciated standard C functions, but you can easily disable those warnings so that they do not appear.

The only compiler I have been able to get Code::Blocks to work with is MiniGW.

commented: lololol +6
commented: tnx :) +1

Yeah, isn't it so ironically sad? :D
I get fed up of VC++ because i don't like the errors it throws (The one i'm really fed up of is the 3.00 one btw) And so i get Code::Blocks which doesnt even recognize the compiler :P

Hmm, i guess i'll have to uninstall it and then reinstall the one with MiniGW .
Tnx :)

Btw: I dont have much need for VC++ either. It takes such a ton of space thanks to the .NET framework too, which i don't have any use for either.

Installed it and stuff with ease, and decided to test it with a helloworld program. Thing is, when i decided to compile the program, it wouldn't compile.

* Release" uses an invalid compiler. Skipping...
Nothing to be done.

Followed some google links that told me to see the compiler and debugger settings, and check to see the compiler. I have Borland C++ compiler in, say, C:/Borland/BCC55.
So i set the SELECTED COMPILER dropdown to Borland C++ compiler(5.5, 5.82) and in search directories, set the path to the respective directories.

It still was stubborn and showed that error. More googling followed. I was led to project>build options where i confirmed that the selected compiler was Borland.

Hmm. I did a BC55 install, grabbed the "rest of" Code::Blocks (I was previously only using the MinGW port), did the configuring you mention doing, and was able to build a Hello World with no such errors. The "Toolchain Executables" seems key, and I found it odd that the specified directory was one up from the bin directory (but I guess it does have this note in red).

I get fed up of VC++ because i don't like the errors it throws

Why do you not like the errors it throws? If it is because the errors are always confusing and do not help you fix the problem, that is a legitimate reason to look for a different compiler. But I will warn you that from my experience, VC++ is no worse than other popular compilers out there. You just need to learn how to interpret the messages.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

get devshed c++

You don't have to add any compilers.

Why do you not like the errors it throws? If it is because the errors are always confusing and do not help you fix the problem, that is a legitimate reason to look for a different compiler. But I will warn you that from my experience, VC++ is no worse than other popular compilers out there. You just need to learn how to interpret the messages.

That's not a problem, i understand some errors from experiance, and the ones i don't have a clue about, i simply paste the errors in google and a solution usually comes up. But i've read about some which come only in VC++ and googling usually doesn't fix the issue :/

Anyway, VC++ is too big and Code::blocks is smaller :)

I'm installing the Codeblocks + mingW now :)
Lets see if it works..

But i've read about some which come only in VC++ and googling usually doesn't fix the issue :/

All compilers throw errors like that. That is why relying on google to solve your problems is not the best idea. ;) I have never gotten an error that I could not decipher after a some thinking, and I guess everyone else is the same, so switching compilers because you do not like the errors is a step backward. Now you have to learn what a whole new set of errors mean.

Anyway, VC++ is too big and Code::blocks is smaller

Now it seems like you are reaching for any reason to switch compilers. If you want to do it that badly, you do not need to justify the decision to me. But it is OK to backtrack if you ever find out that your original decision was not the best one. I have seen several projects die because the team could not stand to admit mistakes and kept chugging along on a path to doom.

I am not saying that your switching compilers is a path to doom, of course. Knowing more than one compiler is a good thing. But programmers thrive on logic, and a weak logical case like jumping from "throwing lots of stupid errors" to "X is to big and Y is smaller" is suspicious. ;)

>>Anyway, VC++ is too big and Code::blocks is smaller

That might be a valid excuse if your hard drive is pretty full and you don't want to get a larger one. But Code::Blocks is only the IDE, you also need a compiler. VC++ 2008 is more than just a C/C++ compiler, it compiles CLR too, and its debugger is almost unbeatable by any other compiler/IDE.

Code::blocks + MingW is working :)

@ Tom Gunn:
+Rep to you. Thats very good advice you're giving me. Yeah, i'll need to take some time learning about the errors and stuff. And yes, i'm sort of starting to miss VC++ too, because in some places, it was very conveniant and simple. But my hard drive is finishing, less than 500 MB left in C drive :P

@Dragon:
Yup, i agree with you about the debugger. But i'm reasonably happy with Code::blocks, it takes a relatively small space and does its job :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.