Here soon, I was hoping to buy an IDE for C++. However, I'm not sure which is the best to buy. I only know of Borland and Microsoft's as popular IDEs. Are there any other popular IDE's that are worth purchasing. I'll be heading off to college here soon, and I thought having one would be for the better. Or might it be better to wait a while until I really need one, as I understand my skill isn't near enough to need anything special. What are your recommendations?

Prodigal Squirrel

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

>What are your recommendations?
Download Bloodshed's Dev-C++. If you like it then it should suffice for the time being and not cost you anything.

>What are your recommendations?
Download Bloodshed's Dev-C++. If you like it then it should suffice for the time being and not cost you anything.

Thanks. I suppose I was right in assuming it's not necessary to shell out money for one just yet. And Dev-C++ what I have been using actually (I should've specified that I didn't know of any other IDE's that cost money). I find it to be a bit errornous at times, however. For instance, at school a program of mine spawned a linker error to a fresh header file I made. I couldn't figure out why, so I copied the entire folder for that program and took it home. Once I copied it back to my home PC, I compiled it and no more linker error.

>I find it to be a bit errornous at times, however.
You would be better off assuming that the error is your fault, not your compiler's fault. It almost always is.

>I find it to be a bit errornous at times, however.
You would be better off assuming that the error is your fault, not your compiler's fault. It almost always is.

I typically do. But in that instance, I hadn't changed one single thing. I didn't modify any files, or move any of them. I had only copied it to and from a flash drive. And that's not the first time it's done that.

>But in that instance, I hadn't changed one single thing.
Not all compilers are the same. Just because one compiles broken code or does the right thing with broken code doesn't mean that other compilers will. The most likely explanation is that your code was wrong and the second compiler was good enough to catch it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.