Hey Guys. Im having a hard time figuring this out. I realize there are a bunch of topics out there discussing this problem but I couldn't find anything that was helpful to this particular situation.

#include <iostream>
#include <string.h>

using namespace std;

typedef char charType[4];

int main()
	  {
		char a[2] = {'a','b'};
		charType MyChar;

for(int i=0;i<3;i++)
		   {
			MyChar = a[i];//i want to set the value of MyChar to whatever a[i] has at that moment in the loop.
			strcpy(MyChar,a[i]); //this doesnt work either.
                      /*MyFunction(MyChar)<--- this function takes in MyChar suppose..*/
		   }

return 0;
	  }

Its giving me the errors:
prog.cpp: In function ‘int main()’:
prog.cpp:15: error: incompatible types in assignment of ‘char’ to ‘char [4]’
prog.cpp:16: error: invalid conversion from ‘char’ to ‘const char*’
prog.cpp:16: error: initializing argument 2 of ‘char* strcpy(char*, const char*)’

My goal is to somehow copy the elements of the array to MyChar to use it later. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

MyChar is an array of char. a is a single char. The two types are completely incompatible. MyChar[i] = a[i] would work. At least until i gets incremented past 1, then you're accessing a out of bounds.

Nice that was quite helpful. Although the function that i mentioned above MyFunction(MyChar) takes in a char value. I cannot pass it a MyChar value because it complains for invalid conversion from char to *char. So i did MyFunction(&MyChar) and it compiles but it inputs malicious data...this is what it inputs:
a�y�ab
by�ab
�ab
....im not sure how to fix that. I need to somehow provide that MyFunction() with data thats in the a

Dude, your code is severely broken in several ways. I can only assume that MyFunction is equally crappy. Start by normalizing your expected/actual types, and fix your overflow errors. I'd help you more, but I have no idea what the hell you're trying to accomplish with this cluster of a program.

hahaha...that was funny...well actually this is related to a Btree program i am writing and this is one of the things i need to do. all my other functions work quite well. Is there no way that I can possibly give that MyFunction() function the data from a[]?....because that would pretty much solve all my problems.

Member Avatar for stevee1984
#include <iostream>
#include <string.h>

using namespace std;

typedef char charType; <-Changed

int main()
{
	char a[] = {'a','b'};

for (int i=0;i<2;i++) <-Changed
	{
		charType MyChar = a[i];
	}

return 0;
}

Try this dude.

I cannot change that because then I will have to change a lot of other stuff which is a big headache....any other solution?

#include <iostream>
#include <string.h>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
	char a[] = {'a','b'};

charType MyChar;
	for (int i=0;i<2;i++)
	{
		memcpy(MyChar,&a[i], 1);
	}

return 0;
}

Use memcpy instead.

if you do a cout on the MyChar this is what it outputs:
��ab
��ab
...malicious data

Thats because when MyChar is defined its not filled with nulls.

Try this then

#include <iostream>
#include <string.h>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
	char a[] = {'a','b'};

charType MyChar;
	memset(MyChar, 0, 4); // Add this
	for (int i=0;i<2;i++)
	{
		memcpy(MyChar,&a[i], 1);
		cout << MyChar << "\n\r";
	}

return 0;
}

Of course you could replace the whole for loop with:

memcpy(MyChar,&a,2);

nice you solved it. Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.