how could i print the length of a parameter?.. like def length(word)
gives the output "word 4"?.. I have no clue of what to do?

def length():
len=length()

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You need to study up on functions a little, for instance see:
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/post104853.html#post104853
Again, you can use a formatted string to show the result ...

def length(word):
    print( "%s %d" % (word, len(word)) )

# test the function
# here you use the string "python" as argument/parameter word
length("python")  # python 6

The nice thing about using % formatting is that it works with Python2 and Python3 versions. Look at %s as a placeholder for string word and %d as a placeholder for the integer result of len(word).

thx for the help but how could i print the length of whatever the parameters are?.. like length("tree", "computer") and it prints out the string the with length?... this is what i dnt get

thx for the help but how could i print the length of whatever the parameters are?.. like length("tree", "computer") and it prints out the string the with length?... this is what i dnt get

how could i print the length of whatever the parameters are

Well, if you tried the example given by vegaseat, it gave you the length of parameters passed to the function 'length'. If that isn't what you are looking for, perhaps just re-phrase your question a little.

If all you are looking for is to get the length of a string the len('your string') will do the trick.

prints out the string the with length

Just take a closer look at the example given by Vegaseat. That is exactly what his function did. You give it a string, it prints the string and the length of the string.

That changes the original scope just a minor tad ...

def length(*args):
    for arg in args:
        print( "%s %d" % (arg, len(arg)) )

# test the function with a single argument/parameter
length("python")

print( '-'*15 )

# test the function with multiple arguments/parameters
length("hill", "cat", "mouse")

"""my result -->
python 6
---------------
hill 4
cat 3
mouse 5
"""
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.