Hi Guys..
I have a problem in tellg() function..
When I open file in Binary mode , It returns true value,but when I open in default mode it returns false value.I can't understand what has happened ...(the problem is in this code) :

for(int t=1;t<size;t++){

char ch=input.get();
        codes_list[t].symbol=list[t].symbol=ch;
        input>>list[t].q;
        list[t].right=list[t].left=0;
        input.get();

}

position=input.tellg();

it is so interesting that when I add cout<<input.tellg() in the scope it returns very bad value and many -1 !
(aboat code : it read data from file that the order is : (char)(int)(space) ...and code_list and list are structures .

and my another problem is when I put open file in binary mode.. it reads some unknown characters for example it reads 26 and 13 that causes bad works of my code.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You've pretty much learned all there is to it: the STL streams library does not handle non-binary streams very well.

If you plan to seek[[b]g[/b]|[b]p[/b]]() / tell[[b]g[/b]|[b]p[/b]]() at all, use binary I/O.

Sorry.

You've pretty much learned all there is to it: the STL streams library does not handle non-binary streams very well.

If you plan to seek[[b]g[/b]|[b]p[/b]]() / tell[[b]g[/b]|[b]p[/b]]() at all, use binary I/O.

Sorry.

But I said that when I read characters in Binary I/O , it reads some characters like 13 and 26 ,and cause many other problems.
and when I build input file in Binary mode, for some files it works and for some doesn't.
(I write characters in input (when i wanna make it) by << ,does it make problems?)

May you help me how to get rid of this problem (how to solve one of them!)
tnx for your rapid answer.:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.