I'm working on a project that requires users logging on using windows authentication. How do I go about this. This application is JSP-Struts.i can able to get the user name by System.getProperty("user.name"); But i can i get the password.PLz help.Thanks in advance.
with luv
Rajesh G

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Im afraid my friend, you cant get the password, if you could, then thousands of "password recovery aka password stealing" apps in java would be floating around the internet...

Windows password are stored in a file, cant recall the name, and they are encrypted, so you need
1. Read windows partition from Linux or DOS
2. Take the password file
3. Use a brute-force password recovery app, to TRY to find some of the passwords

As you can see, theres no way to read these passwords from Java or any other language, even If you could read the file on real time (you cant, windows blocks it, thats the reason of step 1 mentioned before), you would still have to try and find the password through brute force, which is, time/resources consuming, you could spend 24 hours in a row trying to get a password and either succeed or not, depending on the complexity of the password (aka, lenght, different characters, and so on..)

Hope thats clear

cheers

Im afraid my friend, you cant get the password, if you could, then thousands of "password recovery aka password stealing" apps in java would be floating around the internet...

Windows password are stored in a file, cant recall the name, and they are encrypted, so you need
1. Read windows partition from Linux or DOS
2. Take the password file
3. Use a brute-force password recovery app, to TRY to find some of the passwords

As you can see, theres no way to read these passwords from Java or any other language, even If you could read the file on real time (you cant, windows blocks it, thats the reason of step 1 mentioned before), you would still have to try and find the password through brute force, which is, time/resources consuming, you could spend 24 hours in a row trying to get a password and either succeed or not, depending on the complexity of the password (aka, lenght, different characters, and so on..)

Hope thats clear

cheers

Thank you very much darklordsatan.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.