when should i use "return 0;" at the end of a main() function?

Unless you're using void main() (which is not advisable to use), the return type of your main() is int, so you either return 0(which indicates successful run of the program)or 1 or any other int value(which indicates failure) i.e if your program runs successfully, then 0 is returned , else, any other value you specified is returned.

Please,if my reply satisfied your problem, can you kindly add to my reputation? Thanks!!

commented: Begging for rep is unbecoming. -4

>when should i use "return 0;" at the end of a main() function?
Always or never, depending on your preference and whether or not you're writing standard C++. In standard C++ 0 is returned automagically when execution falls off the end of main, so the following is perfectly valid:

int main()
{
}

However, some people like to be consistent and explicitly return from any function that doesn't return void:

int main()
{
  return 0;
}

My personal preference is that if I have multiple returns from main, EXIT_SUCCESS is always explicit at the end, but otherwise I omit the return statement entirely:

int main()
{
  // Stuff with no return statement
}
#include <cstdlib>

int main()
{
  // Stuff

if ( failed )
    return EXIT_FAILURE;

// Stuff

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}
commented: Nicely said. +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.