Hey guys. I'm having some issues with my Visual Studio 2008 Pro. I'm trying to compile the following code, included in the link http://pastebin.com/r6WsG5r7; but, whenever I try compiling the code, I get like 5 erros: The errors are listed below.

Why is it that moving certain declarations around changes and/or removes erros?

The errors are as outlined below:

1>------ Build started: Project: brute, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Compiling...
1>main.cpp
1>c:\users\programmerx\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\brute\brute\main.cpp(15) : error C3861: 'strcpy': identifier not found
1>c:\users\programmerx\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\brute\brute\main.cpp(24) : error C3861: 'strcmp': identifier not found
1>c:\users\programmerx\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\brute\brute\main.cpp(34) : error C3861: 'strcmp': identifier not found
1>c:\users\programmerx\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\brute\brute\main.cpp(44) : error C3861: 'strcmp': identifier not found
1>c:\users\programmerx\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\brute\brute\main.cpp(54) : error C3861: 'strcmp': identifier not found
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\ProgrammerX\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\brute\brute\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>brute - 5 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Is this a C or Cpp progect? If its a C project try including the string.h header.

Thanks, I added string.h; it cleared up my strcpy() problem, but now I'm getting about 40 errors, which include stuff like:
1>------ Build started: Project: brute, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Compiling...
1>main.c
1>c:\users\programmerx\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\brute\brute\main.c(16) : warning C4996: 'strcpy': This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using strcpy_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.
1> c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\include\string.h(74) : see declaration of 'strcpy'
1>c:\users\programmerx\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\brute\brute\main.c(21) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'type'
1>c:\users\programmerx\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\brute\brute\main.c(21) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'type'
1>c:\users\programmerx\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\brute\brute\main.c(21) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ')' before 'type'
1>c:\users\programmerx\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\brute\brute\main.c(21) : error C2065: 'i' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\programmerx\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\brute\brute\main.c(21) : error C2065: 'i' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\programmerx\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\brute\brute\main.c(21) : error C2059: syntax error : ')'
1>c:\users\programmerx\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\brute\brute\main.c(22) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '{'
1>c:\users\programmerx\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\brute\brute\main.c(23) : error C2065: 'i' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\programmerx\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\brute\brute\main.c(31) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'type'
1>c:\users\programmerx\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\brute\brute\main.c(31) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'type'
1>c:\users\programmerx\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\brute\brute\main.c(31) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ')' before 'type'

First warning: disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details. You don't care that VC doesn't like strcpy so turn the error off.

Next error: look on line 21 and before for the missing ';'

First warning: disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details. You don't care that VC doesn't like strcpy so turn the error off.

I've tried and I really don't see any lines missing a ';'....

Well what can we say? Our crystal balls must be on the fritz. You might have to help us see your problem...

Looks like your paste has expired.

Why don't you copy and paste the code here itself?

Or with errors of that nature (missing X before Y) look on the first line of code before the line given, 21 in this case particularly if Y is the first thing on the error line.

> Looks like your paste has expired.
No it hasn't, the OP just can't paste URLs properly. Delete the trailing ;

> for(int i = 97; i >= 97 && i <= 122; i++)
Assuming you're compiling this as C, then the int declaration inside the for loop is NOT supported.
This is a C++ feature, or a C99 feature.
Since you're using m$, you're never going to get a C99 compiler.

Declare i at the start of the block, old-school style.

commented: Good catch!! +1
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.