I am working on this programming probability assignment for class and I am having trouble figuring out how to work this problem below.

1.) Design and write a computer-based simulation to find an empirical probability for landing on GO TO JAIL/Boardwalk.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Post what you have started. Ask specific questions.

Guiding Questions:
--What is the probability that you will land on the GO TO JAIL space on your first time around the board?
--What is the probability of landing on Boardwalk on the first time around the board?
Method for solving:
A) Design and write a computer-based simulation to find an empirical probability for landing on GO TO JAIL/Boardwalk. (For ease of programming, you may assume that if landing on a Community Chest or Chance card, you are not sent to another space).
B) Write a method for finding the exact theoretical probability for landing on Boardwalk.
C) Use the method developed in B) to find this exact probability.
When given a difficult problem to solve, it is often useful to find the answer to a simpler (yet related) problem. Answer the following questions before solving Part 1.

1.) What is the probability of landing on Mediterranean Avenue on the first time around the board?

2.) What is the probability of landing on Baltic Avenue on the first time around the board?

2/36

3.) What is the probability of landing on Reading Railroad on the first time around the board?

1/9

4.) What is the probability of landing on Vermont Avenue on the first time around the board?

1/6

5.) What is the probability of landing on Virginia Avenue on the first time around the board?

1/12

PART 2 ‐ In the Jailhouse now.
Answer the following questions regarding JAIL in Monopoly.
1.) What is the probability of not having to pay to get out of jail?

1/6

2.) What is the probability of having to pay to get out of jail?

5/6

3.) What is the Expected Value for the amount you pay to get out of jail?
4.) What is the Expected Value for the amount of rolls it takes to get out of jail?

As of now, I have just come up with the probabilities of those questions. I just need help in doing it in java, basically how to set it up. Would I do functions of each of those into one code?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.