I didn't know where to put this but this seemed to be the best place. I took an internship this summer and found out that I will be doing embedded development in C/C++ and Linux for phones(land line voip stuff). This is bad for me since I have always been an above the operating system, higher level programmer so i'm getting a little worried. I really know almost nothing about embedded development. I will definitely be scouring google but I was wondering if there were any good books for an introduction into embedded development that I could check out.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

If the cross-complier is already setup then it shouldn't really be a problem...Program as usual but run the programs on your embedded system...If your looking for tuts and docs try googling GCC embedded systems

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9904

Ok great. Thanks for that tip.

the beauty about internships is they don't expect you to know a whole lot, and will teach you what to do.

i'd be pretty stoked if i were you. this is a great opportunity.

I am excited, nervous, but excited. I really want to actually do something and really get my hands dirty.

commented: Should be a lot of fun - enjoy! +20
commented: Go for it! Your enthusiasm will make it happen. +8

I am excited, nervous, but excited. I really want to actually do something and really get my hands dirty.

Well good luck and I hope you need a lot of soap this summer.

i hate coming home all covered with bits.

So should I expect to be doing a lot of system calls and muti threaded apps? I would assume no to the threads because of the lack of system resources. I'm just trying to get some keywords I can throw into Google. Embedded linux development doesn't really produce the best tutorials/lessons. BTW thanks for all the help so far to everyone.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.