Can anybody please tell me how I can make my code an install file? I know how to make the code into an executable, but once I transfer the executable onto another computer (obviously) it doesnt work.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Why does it obviously not work if you copy just the executable?

You'd mostly only need an installer when releasing a big project... if it's just some executable what would the installer do to make it working on the other's PC?

You need to set your project properties, assuming you use VC++.

Press ALT+7, Click on Configuration Properties, go to C/C++ -> Code Generation.
There is an option called Runtime Library, you should set it to Multi threaded. Be aware that you executable size increases with like 300kb.

~Pyno

I just thought the compiler converted the c++ into asembler or some low level language, that was computer dependent and different for different computers?

@Pynolathgeen:
I tried changing this, but came out with 13 errors and 2 warnings, making the compilation fail. I did not get any before. I changed the setting you said to 'Multi-threaded (/MT)', although there were several others, im not sure If they are similar or not - 'Multi-threaded Debug (/MTd)', 'Multi-threaded DLL (/MD)''Multi-threaded Debug DLL (/MDd)'.

Any ideas?

It only seems to complile without errors on the setting 'Multi-threaded DLL (/MD)'.

Multithreaded Debug DLL is not a problem either. You just need Multithreaded.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.