I know how to run tomcat on MY computer, I just click the start button. My question is, how can I upload tomcat to a webserver and make it run forever(or at least until I click stop).

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

You can't. It needs to be installed there for your use by the server administrator.

You can't. It needs to be installed there for your use by the server administrator.

That makes me want to scream. Is there another server/container you can put on a webserver yourself?

no, of course not.
Any software running on a machine needs to be installed by someone who has a right to do so.

If that weren't the case the security implications would be enormous.
Of course if you have an account on that machine you might install it using an ssh connection, but if the machine is properly configured it should be inaccessible to the outside world as the firewall would block requests to it.

no, of course not.
Any software running on a machine needs to be installed by someone who has a right to do so.

If that weren't the case the security implications would be enormous.
Of course if you have an account on that machine you might install it using an ssh connection, but if the machine is properly configured it should be inaccessible to the outside world as the firewall would block requests to it.

Oh geez, this breaks my heart. Say on my webserver they have a spot for cgi scripts, is it possible they are running something that will run jsps and servlets?

it is possible, and it can't hurt to ask.

If they don't, hosting space for servlets and JSPs isn't that expensive if you don't need large amounts of bandwidth.

Hello,

In my experience, you need to be the admin/supervisor to install an environment, such as Tomcat, or Apache, or things that interact at the higher level. There are some scripts out there, such as yappa-ng that a user could install, and run from his own area. BUt things that require tweaking of the firewall, or the opening of a port, or various levels of IO are saved for exclusive access to the root/supervisor accounts.

Christian

And of course Tomcat would effectively be installed as a plugin to the webserver, requiring changes to the webserver configuration files (and thus a restart of the webserver itself).

Thanks guys, but I just said screw it. I don't have the smarts or time to do what I wanted. So, I just turned my site into a "hobby" site, and I'm just as satisfied.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.