Hi, I have a problem which has been puzzling me for a few days. i have been trying it with vectors and characters but will not work for me. Imagine an "ON" "OFF" binary sequence. I want to compute all combinations of that sequence of length N say.

e.g sequence 001011 of length 6, but want all possibilities arising of length 6

I was thinking about using the <BITSET> class and defining for example

std::bitset<100>

Is this the best way for a sequence of "ON" "OFF" code? Then from here what is the best way to make sure all the possibilities of the sequence can be generated?

(( On a side note, I can't have for instance "std::bitset<N>" where N is user defined or defined elsewhere. The error is 'expression must have a constant value' so I think its something to do with address?))

Thanks for your time in reading if you have gotten this far.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Here's one way. You'll have to translate my prose into code.

1) Start with a sequence of 0 bits.
2) Repeat steps 3-5 until the sequence is all 1-bits.
3) Locate the leftmost 0 bit. (This works because the sequence
is known not to be all 1-bits)
4) Set that bit to 1.
5) Set all the bits to the left of that bit to 0.

For example, if you have 11011000, the leftmost 0 bit is the third from the left. So you set that bit to 0 and the ones to its left to 1 and you get 00111000.

Each time you go through steps 3-5, you will get a different set of bits. Try it and see.

commented: Nice solution =) +1

If you use a char array then you can use a sequence of nested loops, wherein each char is associated with a loop, to change each place holder in the sequence in turn. Haven't used bitsets so can't say if similar manipulation possible with them.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.